Quantcast
Kind of new knife day!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kind of new knife day!

Kind of new knife day!

Got my knew blades yesterday and today off of forum members.

Fowler 240mm Gyuto W2 tool steel. with a box elder and cocobolo handle.

Yoshihiro 270 Hagane Gyuto with saya.

Cant wait to see how they perform on the Job.

You both know how to pack up a knife!
    Thanks again

P.s. The Fowler is the same size? 270mm no?
    Seems long for 240.

It's not the Answer it's the Experience

Congrats on the new to you knives, just curious is the hagane version of the Yoshihiro carbon?
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I can't wait to hear how they preform myself.

Congrats on the new steel! I've been curious about yoshihiro for awhile now. They're all over sejeicap's store on eBay. Been tempted a couple times. Please do give us a performance review

The Yoshi Is a single bevel, And just feel right. probly my main gyuto for now. cut up sides of house smoked salmon today was great! I'm a little nervous maintaining it thought. never owned a single bevel knife. I think the fowler is going to stay at home. It feels a little bit clumsy to be using when I have to pump through piles of work.

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooMajik View Post
    The Yoshi Is a single bevel, And just feel right. probly my main gyuto for now. cut up sides of house smoked salmon today was great! I'm a little nervous maintaining it thought. never owned a single bevel knife. I think the fowler is going to stay at home. It feels a little bit clumsy to be using when I have to pump through piles of work.
    Clumsy how so?

The Yoshihiro isn't a single bevel in the traditional sense, just heavily asymmetric. I sharpened it convex on the front side, and a few low angle strokes on the back just to deburr and strengthen the edge slightly. How's the edge on it?

I still like the Fowler alot but I think I'll be able to better utilize it at home. The handles just bulky for myself. I just need to use it more, get to know it a bit better. I think the profile will be really nice to use once I adjust to it.

The Edge is really nice on the Yoshi. That's where I'd like to get my sharpening to. My CDP made one cut with it and started laughing.

I'll do a performance review once I get a little more use out of them. Complete world a difference between the two.

Yes, I remember the Fowler to have a thick and stumpy handle, oversized machi and extremely flat blade....took some getting used to. I do believe his work has evolved considerably, though. Not too sure which generation you have....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Good decision on the yoshihiro. A guy on another forum is raving about the yoshihiro hagane suji.