Quantcast
Woolly Mammoth Molar/Tooth <<SUPER SIZED>> - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Woolly Mammoth Molar/Tooth <<SUPER SIZED>>

Cool tips, thanks. I would have done a lot of it intuitively but it's great to get confirmation. Whenever I drill it, I usually glue it between spacer material, but wood sounds actually better. What about masonry drills? Will they work? I tried a few cheap ones with good success on reconstituted stone and was wondering about getting one or two better ones. Never thought a band saw would work on the material. But for now I'd rather let Randy cut it for me before I invest in more blades or an angle grinder And I clearly don't use CA glue enough - I hate the stuff because I constantly glue things together that I didn't intend to, just glued a handle to the table the other day when I tried filling a void .

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Yes, There is nothing quite like the smell of this stuff! My whole shop is covered in a layer of mammoth dust from preparing these scales!! The smell is bad, but not near as bad as the smell of buffalo horn IMO!

What is a zip wheel? If I google it will it show up?

The blocks are gona be somewhere in the range of 26mm square and varied lengths.
    It is a thin cut off wheel used for the angle grinder, for cutting ferrous metals. About 3/32" thick. All the boys up here welding in the oil patch call them zip wheels. I stuck with me.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

I think Charles Turnage had mentioned a tile cutter for this but that clearly would be a uni-tasker in my shop... Would a Foredom have enough 'oomph' for cutting through a 1" block, provided I find a large enough cutting wheel for it?

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Cool tips, thanks. I would have done a lot of it intuitively but it's great to get confirmation. Whenever I drill it, I usually glue it between spacer material, but wood sounds actually better. What about masonry drills? Will they work? I tried a few cheap ones with good success on reconstituted stone and was wondering about getting one or two better ones. Never thought a band saw would work on the material. But for now I'd rather let Randy cut it for me before I invest in more blades or an angle grinder And I clearly don't use CA glue enough - I hate the stuff because I constantly glue things together that I didn't intend to, just glued a handle to the table the other day when I tried filling a void .

Stefan
    Masonry drills? Thats not a bad idea. I have to test and let ya know how it works on the mammoth tooth.
    Wet saws/tile saw will work to cut the tooth into Spacers the stuff! May not be very useful tool unless your going to tile your bathroom or something. I have a cheap one I purchased at HD many years ago to do a remodel on my bathroom.. The only time I have ever used it since was to cut and shape fire bricks when relining or building a forge. So it was not a total loss.

Pierre, Ok, now I know what your talking about. Thats another thing I have not tried yet. But I believe it would do the job, quick and in a hurry! May not be super accurate, but would get the job done! .

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

HHH Custom Knives T Shirts.

Dremmel makes a diamond cut-off wheel that goes through the tooth like butter.

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    Dremmel makes a diamond cut-off wheel that goes through the tooth like butter.
    Nice!!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

HHH Custom Knives T Shirts.

+ Reply to Thread