Quantcast
Woolly Mammoth Molar/Tooth <<SUPER SIZED>> - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Woolly Mammoth Molar/Tooth <<SUPER SIZED>>

  1. #11
    Das HandleMeister apicius9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    3,287
    I'll go lower: 1 x 1(+) x 1 3/8" for a ferrule... You need more precision setting it up correctly, but it's much less work getting it into final shape. If your stabilization makes this less brittle, 1/4" spacers would also be nice. - Oh, and this means I'd love to be kept in the loop when things come up

    Stefan

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    I think your right!! I will have some pieces cut just for that.. What sizes do you guys want? Talk to me!!
    Looks great!!!!! A ferrule piece would be 30mm'ish long by 26mm'ish sq. I want some!!

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,327
    Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I'll go lower: 1 x 1(+) x 1 3/8" for a ferrule... You need more precision setting it up correctly, but it's much less work getting it into final shape. If your stabilization makes this less brittle, 1/4" spacers would also be nice.

    Stefan
    2nd the spacers.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    For a ferrule piece, i am not a wa expert, but i can get by in 1.5 inches square.
    You do not want a chunk that big......unless you really hate yourself

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,327
    Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    You do not want a chunk that big......unless you really hate yourself
    Lol, i am new to wa's...i give myself a large margin of error.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    You do not want a chunk that big......unless you really hate yourself
    Agreed, This stuff is tough to sand.. especially on a block, even a small one for a ferrule.. Thats why Im asking what size you guys need B4 I cut any blocks.

    Cutting and drilling can also present unique challenges!

    Thanks for the info Mario and Stefan. Can we agree that about 30mm square and 35 to 40mm long would work? What about sets, ferrule and butt cap or spacer pieces?

    Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

    Availible Knives

  7. #17
    Das HandleMeister apicius9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    3,287
    Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Agreed, This stuff is tough to sand.. especially on a block, even a small one for a ferrule.. Thats why Im asking what size you guys need B4 I cut any blocks.

    Cutting and drilling can also present unique challenges!
    Excellent point! So, will you be pre-drilling them for us?


    Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Thanks for the info Mario and Stefan. Can we agree that about 30mm square and 35 to 40mm long would work? What about sets, ferrule and butt cap or spacer pieces?
    Unless it's a very large handle and we are talking an end piece, my handles hardly ever reach 1" in width. Not sure about others' handles, I think Butch's are generally larger than mine. So, if you cut for maximum efficiency, the 26mm Marion mentioned are enough IMHO. Similar for length, 35mm is fine, assuming it is squared on both sides. But overall, a little extra in all dimensions gives us more wiggle room. I like the idea of sets, I had planned that with the pieces I have, I just haven't gotten around to it, yet. Could be sets for ferrules and end caps but also for divided ferrules.

    Since you do collect experience with the material, I'd love to also get a few recommendations on tools, abrasives etc. For the thin pieces I have used, regular belts and cutting discs on the Foredom were fine, but for sanding down larger chunks, there may be better options.

    Stefan

  8. #18
    Senior Member Crothcipt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Posts
    3,501
    Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Some beautiful and amazing stuff! I really like the way it Polishes up.
    These scales are cut from a whole tooth. The color is is all natural. They are by most standard Xtra large!! a couple of the sets measure 7" X 3" and over 1/4" thick. Perfectly flat on both sides and ready to Rock N Roll!!

    PM me. for price and availability
    Ok now I am defenatly wondering about the biology of the teeth of them. Still very cool.

  9. #19
    Do you have a full wa size?
    Would be awesome to have a mammoth wa with a musk ox ferrule... Hmmmm

    Musk Ox is so yesterday...

  10. #20
    Randy/Clay, glad to see this worked out for you. That is some really good looking stuff I will call you about it later

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •