Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iron Chef Morimoto

Iron Chef Morimoto

Iron Chef Morimoto was also at the Austin Food & Wine Festival. The wa handle on his knife was pretty well worn. Here are some pics.

More pics here.

Some shots were mirrored?

Is that even possible without an equal amount of wear on the blade? It almost looks like he sanded it down although I could be very wrong. Awesome pictures as usual, thanks for sharing.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

In his book he says it's just worn down. Maybe someone on the forum should make him a new handle.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    In his book he says it's just worn down. Maybe someone on the forum should make him a new handle.
    Working on it... Well, not really, but for one of his chefs, and I asked him to show it to the boss But he'll probably prefer a more traditional method of burning it in. We'll see...

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Is that even possible without an equal amount of wear on the blade? It almost looks like he sanded it down although I could be very wrong. Awesome pictures as usual, thanks for sharing.
    he uses a lot of scrubbies and abrasive powdered soap, like ajax or comet to clean his knives. alot of Japanese chef's do. I'm sure thats going to effect the wood over time like sand paper.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Very interesting, thanks for the insight. I still find it amazing that the wood could wear down that much.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    he uses a lot of scrubbies and abrasive powdered soap, like ajax or comet to clean his knives. alot of Japanese chef's do. I'm sure thats going to effect the wood over time like sand paper.
    Why is that?

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinob1 View Post
    Why is that?
    Makes it real easy to get any patina or funk off your knife. A lot of people recommend baking soda, but you're more likely to have ajax or comet near the dish sink.

your dealing with fish, fish proteins are sticky and you want your knife pristine before you cut the next one. belief is no transfer of carbon steel flavors and contaminants, just the pure taste of the fish.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.