Horse bone ham tester

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Traditionally a thin horse bone is used to poke curing hams in certain area to be sniffed and ascertained whether that ham is going in the right direction or is spoiling. Does anyone know a place where one can purchase said horse bone? I've checked sausage/ham forums and they all talk about it but no one seems to know where to get one.

Maybe someone has a friend in Parma for a horse bone needle. Good luck

Traditionally a thin horse bone is used to poke curing hams in certain area to be sniffed and ascertained whether that ham is going in the right direction or is spoiling. Does anyone know a place where one can purchase said horse bone? I've checked sausage/ham forums and they all talk about it but no one seems to know where to get one.

I've always just used a metal skewer on my hams. I can see the reasoning behind the bone, as it's porous and would likely pick up more scent, but I've gotten a solid 'cured' odor off of a metal skewer. Never had any hams go south, but imagine the rot would be just as apparent if not much more so. Hope this helps.

I've always just used a metal skewer on my hams. I can see the reasoning behind the bone, as it's porous and would likely pick up more scent, but I've gotten a solid 'cured' odor off of a metal skewer. Never had any hams go south, but imagine the rot would be just as apparent if not much more so. Hope this helps.
I think the same but I'm curious to see if there is a difference.

I think the same but I'm curious to see if there is a difference.

I think they used horse bones more out of tradition, than anything, this goes back to the time of the Romans. copper, bronze or iron would give off a distinct metallic smell when pulled out and may also react with the salt in the cure. since, stainless steel didn't exist then and they ate a lot of horses why not keep the tradition alive, besides the bones were a free by product of the time. In the south I have seen them use Raccoon baculums (penile bones) to test hams, so the tradition lives on. You are going to have great difficulty finding Horse splint bones for sale here in the states. people don't want us killing horses for food here.

Alright, Travis

If you are still in need of horse bone needles, I got two of them. Let me know and I'll send them out.

lol, just persistent . these two are small ones, but should get the job done, they are 6 1/4 inches long and came off of an Apache friend of mine's pony ranch.

Son: If you bring them to the ECG I can hand them off to travis after I get back.

I can't figure out how to get to plainfield or whatever it is from here. I went to the port authority bus terminal website,but the one carrier who is supposed to go there doesn't have it listed on their schedule. I'll keep looking. otherwise I'll see if I can hitch a ride with theory.

Son, since I'm not from up that way my knowledge is a bit limited. We'll be leaving from Green Brook/ Dunnellen. It is a little south of Plainfield/ West Plainfield/ Scotch Plains. Theory works in that same area.

Since it looks like there may be two caravans from up north, hopefully you can get in on one of those. Otherwise we can work something out to meet you somewhere along the way (even if it's a lot closer to Philidelphia).

Apparently I haven't been checking my own threads enough and didnt see your offer of horse bone. Yes, I'd love to have one and I trust David enough to provide them with safe passage. Though I wouldn't put it past him randomly shank meandering pigs with it in the PA area.

Why doesn't Travis just come to the ECG as well? Problem solved.

Geeze Travis, that's a nasty cough you have there! Boy, it sounds like you have some sort of very contageous malady developing, that will likely peak in about 1-1/2 weeks. I'll bet they would not want you working in the kitchen when you are sick like that! :knight:

Back