An unvolontary experiment/experience

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinW

Reaction score
Ok, so all knives (and sharpening stuff) are safely packed up and stuffed in a 40" container halfway across the Atlantic. The family relocated into temporary living where the kitchen knives consists of 3 Tramontina serrated paired with a glass cutting board. I can't get through a bagel w/o stabbing it.

After 3 days my wife was furious. I ordered 2 picknic knives from Japan woodworker since they had free shipping. The knives arrived brilliantly quick.
Now a week and a half later they are getting dull and tomatoes need to be stabbed. She is mad again. I am silently suffering.
Living without proper knives when you are used to it sucks big time.

If you doubt me, try it! Get out a dull old serrated thing and try doing everything with it for a couple of weeks. It sucks the joy out of all food preparation.

It's an eye opening experience and you (and your family) will be greatful for the money you spent on proper knives and the skills to maintain them. My wife usually makes wry comments on my (new) knives, but now she says she cant wait to get her favorite out of the box again.

welcome to my experience when I pick up a work beater. My cowokers laugh when I grunt very loudly, and swear at how crappy and how can they even use them. I think I have more tantrums over the beaters than anything else.

When we moved, I culled out a few knives and and kitchen gadgets just to avoid your frustration. I knew our stuff was going to be in storage for a few months until we found a new home and closed on the financing.

i will never go back to crap knives or cutting boards for thaat matter

welcome to my experience when I pick up a work beater. My cowokers laugh when I grunt very loudly, and swear at how crappy and how can they even use them. I think I have more tantrums over the beaters than anything else.

Jam the POS into a drawer and snap it. Or banana it.

Never worked in a kitchen to get upset over a knife, but when I was on the tools as an electrician, any sub-standard tool miraculously managed to find a live wire, an open trench or an inaccessible bit of ceiling in a very short time. I'll never understand how that managed to occur, especially when the good tools managed to be looked after so well...

Stu.

Who has a nasty reputation for turning most sub-standard stuff into vaporware (poof!), missiles (fling!) or shrapnel ($#^@^%$#^%$#!!!).

When I go to someone's house for a dinner, I always bring a kitchen knife, tucked away in a bag. I seem to constantly get roped into doing kitchen duty and the knives are intolerable.

I also tend to bring stones and just sharpen every knife in the building if time allows. I don't want my friends to suffer when I'm right here.

Ill have to take a pic of the knife I tried to sharpen last night, to show you guys.

I will be taking my knives to Ohio with me when I visit my sis. With that said I also plan on cooking, giving lessons to her. I am just wondering if I should bring my stones too. Luggage wise I get 1 bag and my mother gets my unused one, so not sure if I will be sharpening her knives.

When I go to someone's house for a dinner, I always bring a kitchen knife, tucked away in a bag. I seem to constantly get roped into doing kitchen duty and the knives are intolerable.

I also tend to bring stones and just sharpen every knife in the building if time allows. I don't want my friends to suffer when I'm right here.

+1

The glass cutting board is the part that kills me! Those things are awful.
We really are a bunch of knife snobs. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but we all are sick.

Ill have to take a pic of the knife I tried to sharpen last night, to show you guys.

I will be taking my knives to Ohio with me when I visit my sis. With that said I also plan on cooking, giving lessons to her. I am just wondering if I should bring my stones too. Luggage wise I get 1 bag and my mother gets my unused one, so not sure if I will be sharpening her knives.

What part of Ohio? I live near Columbus myself.

+2

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago. We went on a family vacation and stayed at a place with a "fully furnished, functioning kitchen." The terrible state and quality of the knives wasn't even the worst part. The pots and pans were. We went there again last year. I brought as much of my kitchen as I could fit in the car.

+2

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago. We went on a family vacation and stayed at a place with a "fully furnished, functioning kitchen." The terrible state and quality of the knives wasn't even the worst part. The pots and pans were. We went there again last year. I brought as much of my kitchen as I could fit in the car.

Seriously, my stuff is not that bad! I've come a long way since then.

Tk you have to remember that most restaurants pots and pans are made for mass use. Most for the home is made for beauty, and single use.

I will be in Bellbrook, Oh. Which is between Cincinnati, and Dayton. I am hoping I can get in at Lola, Micheal Symon's first place while I am there.

Do you enjoy traditional homemade Indian Cuisine? :whistling:

I empathize with your story. First I laughed, then I felt sad. Well you will certainly have a great appreciation for them when they get there.

Ohh, i was a joyful day when i unpacked the Boardsmith and the knives.
I also started up some new pans (mix of All-Clad, Le Creuset and Spring) which was really good too!

Tk you have to remember that most restaurants pots and pans are made for mass use. Most for the home is made for beauty, and single use.

I will be in Bellbrook, Oh. Which is between Cincinnati, and Dayton. I am hoping I can get in at Lola, Micheal Symon's first place while I am there.

i live in Cincinnati. depending on when it is, and how long you're here, any interest in a meet up?

+3. I bring the whole kit and leave it in the car waiting for the summons to the kitchen.

+2

:rofl2: :lol2: My guess would be that a funished Kit. wt. shared knives & cookware would be the pits

i live in Cincinnati. depending on when it is, and how long you're here, any interest in a meet up?

Edipis, That was 2 mo. ago. It would have been cool to do a meet. Next time I go (my sister lives there) I will drop you a line.

On another note I am not sure what I was smoking at the time, but Lola is in Cleveland. Which I found out kinda the hard way.

Also I ended up taking my set I use for work at that time. I ended up giving my sister 2 knives, and told her to send me some knives when they get dull. She had some no name knife block that well had seen better days. When I can afford it I will end up sending her a Boardsmith board.

Back