Quantcast
Red Aoto - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Aoto

Ok good to know thanks!

Just want to report, i have been using the aoto as my finishing stone for my shun, its been about two weeks now only one sharpening session and no touch ups, its still cutting tremendously good. I think it is due to the toothy edge this stone leaves but I'm digging it, i can tell its not quite as sharp as it was however still performing quite well.

The red aoto is and will never be a miracle stone, but it's damn good for the price and money vs petformace. I have 5 aoto's and the red one is the one who perform best. I know it's not a aoto technical. It's easy to use. For me it was the most expensive stone ever, because after that stone I got the "jnat" flue. Now I know that jnats is my path.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    As all Jnats i really recommend to seal them, before use. Specially on soft ones like these. Regular clear lacquer is fine.
    I can imagine but, Maxim, why would you say it's so important?

I've got one stone (a Hideriyama awasedo) and haven't sealed the sides since starting to use it. Oh for a time machine to mend my sillly ways.....

to reinforce it. My just cracked lengtwise.

Just about before I got shellac over it.

Jeez... Just ordered mineral oil all the way from the US for my boards after not finding it here. And now - I wouldn't suppose anyone knows the words for shellac or lacquer in Korean?.......

Sponsors
    You can also just glue it to wooden base. I just feel its importent to reinforce your expensive stones, i have one red aoto just for me to use and its not seald and not cracked at all but it can happen to any Jnat specially softer ones so why take chances

Thinking again of how to protect natural stones from cracking, sure, using a wooden base should be better than a hard counter, and certainly better than a universal holder which only provide support at the two ends and sometimes in the middle. However, I imagine a thick wet towel, arranged uniformly underneath and placed on your counter, would be even more forgiving and still stop slippage. With a stone that is very irregular on the underside, I'd look into how to make a molded base of some kind. I've got no experience with this, though. Just thinking ahead.... Any thoughts out there?

If you used enough epoxy for attaching to base, I assume it would fill in the irregularities.

Epoxy - yes, that's the stuff! Not sure if I, for one, would ever do it though. The stones just look better on their own, no?

+ Reply to Thread