Please Give Feedback on Knife Order Form

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe an option for other in the knife length. Then customer can put length in the describe below section. That way they don't have to choose a length other than desired before describing.

I thought you had a San Mai option? Other than that, perhaps a graphic of a completed knife at the top for a little POP.

I am not going to do san mai at this time. Maybe at a later time.

Thanks, Matt -

M

Looks pretty good from here, Marko. Mokume is spelled 'mocume' under Handle Endcap*, but other than that it looks good.

Maybe include some general information on policies even if they appear elsewhere on the site. Estimated delivery, as best as possible; return policy if any (doubt you would have much of this); payment methods; deposits. You have addressed much of this to forum members, but 'forum foreigners' may not know as much about your knives as they should.
~s

Also, what happens when you submit the form? Auto email confirmation; final price reflecting option choices, etc.

You might want to list what damascus patterns are available. Including any that might cost a different price than that listed. Also, if any special orders patterns can be done.

Adding costs of "upgrades" where possible would be nice.

Maybe include some general information on policies even if they appear elsewhere on the site. Estimated delivery, as best as possible; return policy if any (doubt you would have much of this); payment methods; deposits. You have addressed much of this to forum members, but 'forum foreigners' may not know as much about your knives as they should.
~s

Good idea. I was thinking of covering this in my return mail, confirming the order and laying out policies and expected wait time.

There are many variables, so details and final cost will have to be done on email. I would like to keep the form as lean and uncluttered as possible.

I might have to rework parts of the site, to include damascus patterns, pictures, policies and pricing information, this seems to be on ongoing thing. The order form is to confine records to one place - now I get on email, pm, skype, etc. It's easy to lose track of the orders.

M

The asterisk next to each field name is not defined. I guess it means "required"?

Rather than "Describe your request", I would say "Comments (optional)", since some people may not know what else to put in the field, and may not need to add a description.

Could you limit the blade length choices depending on the knife type selected? Otherwise, you allow a customer to order a 295mm petty.

Regards,

Mark

I think it's pretty clean and simple, though of course it could be made fancier down the road (sample photos of various materials choices and profiles etc.).

Typo on the spelling of "comments" at the bottom of the form.

I think it's pretty clean and simple, though of course it could be made fancier down the road (sample photos of various materials choices and profiles etc.).

Typo on the spelling of "comments" at the bottom of the form.

Corrected.

I think that info will be in other pages on main and sub menus.

Thanks, John -

I will argue my vision for a "fancy" order form at a later date. ;)

"Chefs" should have an apostrophe ("Chef's" unless you use "Chef" instead).

I also wonder about what should happen when one selects "other" for either knife type or length. Instead of just asking the customer to "please specify" (in the comments section I suppose), you might have a separate field drop down if "other" is selected. Perhaps it doesn't really matter at this point. I imagine someday you will list more blade types (cleaver, honesuki, etc.) as you are able to do so, removing the need for an "other" category altogether.

Edit: And should length have "edge" in front of it? (assuming that's your meaning).

Standard waiver language to protect yourself. Have language saying something to the extent that this is only an order form, not a guarantee of production, production will only be started upon payment and availability of materials, you will not be responsible for any errors made by the person completing the order form, etc.

Typo corrected.

'Other' here implies a type different from ones in the form. For example, it could be a variation of a knife I make, say a kiritsuke-shaped gyuto vs a regular gyuto, or a completely different knife, like yanagiba, which I hope to be able to make at some point.

I removed "other" from the Leigh field as I think the lengths offered should cover most people's needs.

Some things will have to be further clarified and expanded on later - this is just a quick attempt to have the form up and running by Monday.

M

Standard waiver language to protect yourself. Have language saying something to the extent that this is only an order form, not a guarantee of production, production will only be started upon payment and availability of materials, you will not be responsible for any errors made by the person completing the order form, etc.

Thanks, that does sound good. I will include that in a confirmation email.

M

Just an idea. How about an 'undecided' drop-down option, especially for the handle options? I often leave handle choices until the very end as my preferences usually change from the time I order the knife until it is actually produced. The only options now if a person is undecided is to select 'none' (which sends the wrong message) or select 'other', but then a person is left explaining in the comments field that they are undecided about wood, handle style, spacer, end cap, and ferrule.

k.

Just an idea. How about an 'undecided' drop-down option, especially for the handle options? I often leave handle choices until the very end as my preferences usually change from the time I order the knife until it is actually produced. The only options now if a person is undecided is to select 'none' (which sends the wrong message) or select 'other', but then a person is left explaining in the comments field that they are undecided about wood, handle style, spacer, end cap, and ferrule.

k.

Sure, why not?

That would also imply that I might have to provide a recommendation and some explaining on pros and cons of the other types.

M

I showed your form to Eugene (my tech guru friend), and he recommends that you add a simple CAPTCHA (8+2 for example) to reduce your exposure to spam from web bots. He also suggested that you might force the person submitting the order form to first create an account, in order to better keep track of your customers down the road (trying to match up order forms with invoices, changing contact information on all open orders at once, etc.). Down the road, you could allow customers to login to their accounts and view open orders, payments, track progress, etc. Finally, he asked why there is no quantity option, which at first I found amusing, but maybe it isn't!

Got Captcha in place. As for quantity field, it would not make sense unless a person orders multiples of the same knife, which probably will rarely be the case.

Thanks, John -

I want to thank everybody who chimed on in this thread.

Your input is much appreciated.

M

I would appreciate if the confirmation email included the specs of the knife ordered (ie the data just put into the order form).

Hey fellas,

thanks again to all who contributed. The input keeps coming.

I added Grip Preference field to both forms as I find it important piece of information in determining where to put a balance point on a knife. The assumption is that most wa handled knives have a balance point forward (small knives might have it at the handle) and Western handled knives have a balance point at a bolster.

Grip preference also important when I make a D handle - for a pinch grip users I make a ridge a bit more acute (blends into a palm's bend better) than for a 'cup' grip users where I would have to flatten the ridge for a more comfortable hold.

M

Back