Quantcast
I need your Italian Grandma's Marinara Sauce Recipe
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need your Italian Grandma's Marinara Sauce Recipe

I need your Italian Grandma's Marinara Sauce Recipe

So this weekend I want to try to endeavor on a new culinary adventure, Marinara Sauce.

My wife is a picky eater and Ravioli is one of her favorites. I don't have a way to make them by scratch, so I thought the next best thing was to make the sauce. I need a solid basic recipe that I can try this weekend.

Help?

Okay, my 100% Italian grandmother's sauce was pretty good. Made from canned tomatoes, and mainly flavored w/ sausages and dried herbs/ powders. But my 100% Hungarian grandmother made better sauce, as it was also flavored w/ pork ribs :-) BUT, I'm afraid to say I have been able to improve upon their sauces a bit by adding some onion or mirepoix (sp?), fresh garlic, wine, etc.

Here is the basic sauce recipe they both used (and that I grew up making as taught by my mother):

- Brown sausages and meatballs in a heavy pot (7 quart size is good) and remove, leaving some of the oil/ fat.
    - Add ~4 quarts of canned tomato puree (canned by relatives). If you do not have access to something like this, use cans of whole peeled tomatoes pureed in a blender.
    - Add a tablespoon or so of tomato paste.
    - Add 1-2 teaspoons of salt.
    - Add dried oregano, parsley and basil (~ 1 tablespoon each).
    - Add garlic powder and onion powder (~ 1 teaspoon each).
    - Once simmering, add the sausages and meatballs back in (and ribs, if you got 'em!).
    - Simmer the f**k out of it, for at least 3 hours. Skim off fat if excessive (I prefer to stir it back in ) This simmering is mainly to thicken the sauce.
    - Let it sit until the next day. You did start this on Saturday, didn't you???
    - Bring it back to a boil and lower to a simmer for another hour or so before serving.

Please bear in mind their recipes were developed at a time when it was difficult getting the fresh ingredients we take for granted today. Think 1940s, war-time... But it stuck with them, and was passed down to the next generation. Here is my typical sauce:

- Brown sausages and meatballs in a heavy pot (7 quart size is good) and remove, leaving some of the oil/ fat.
    - Saute a diced onion, or go all-out with a mirepoix, using a fine dice for the carrots, onions and celery. I tend to go with ~1/2 cup onion and 1/4 cup each carrots and celery.
    - **Optional** Near the end of the saute, add in ~1-1/2 tablespoons of tomato paste and get it carmalizing a little bit.
    - Near the end of the saute add in a few cloves of minced garlic and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Let cook for ~30 seconds, being careful not to let the garlic or pepper flakes burn.
    - Add ~4 quarts of canned tomato puree (canned by relatives). If you do not have access to something like this, use cans of whole peeled tomatoes pureed in a blender.
    - Add 1-2 teaspoons of salt.
    - Add dried oregano, parsley and basil (~ 1 tablespoon each). Can also go for fresh instead; if so, save them for the last half hour of cooking.
    - Once simmering, add the sausages and meatballs back in (and ribs, if you got 'em!).
    - Simmer the f**k out of it, for at least 3 hours. Skim off fat if excessive (I prefer to stir it back in ) This simmering is mainly to thicken the sauce.
    - Let it sit until the next day. You did start this on Saturday, didn't you???
    - Bring it back to a boil and lower to a simmer for another hour or so before serving. Add in ~3/4 cup of red wine for the last half hour of cooking.

Both versions produce a pretty heavy sauce that is very flavorful (thanks to the pork products). It may be a bit too much for some lighter pastas, although it's the only kind of pasta sauce I knew for the first 20 years of my life so I did not know any better

haha, thanks. BTW, don't forget the "taste/ season/ taste/ reseason", as our tastes likely vary, and I'm guestimating on some of it. But a little more or less dried parsely is not going to make or break things. Also, I just did a quick edit to add in dried basil, plus a note about being able to go with fresh herbs if you defer until the last ~30 minutes of cooking.

I would suggest searching "Marcella Hazan tomato sauce" on google. It's a really awesome and easy sauce.

I do Marcella's Bolognese evey now and again, it is quite good! I do substitute pork for the beef, tho......
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

C'mon now, he asked for marinara recipes, not bolognese! If you want to pull out the meat sauce recipes, I'm gonna have to trump w/ a recipe or two for cinghiale ragu

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post

<snip>

Please bear in mind their recipes were developed at a time when it was difficult getting the fresh ingredients we take for granted today. Think 1940s, war-time... But it stuck with them, and was passed down to the next generation.

<snip>
    I've actually been working diligently over the years trying my best to work without fresh ingredients. Fresh herbs are almost non-existent at my grocery, except maybe parsley and sometimes cilantro. We do have those $5 packs with 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary and such, but they are often browned and wilted and not worth the added cost. So I use a lot of dried herbs.

-AJ

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    AJ,

Why don't you go to home depot and buy plants there? If it's a one and go, it's probably cheaper than the supermarket (and fresher), but you could also grow your own garden with minimal work/space, especially in a warm humid climate like Georgia.
    Jason

I have, but my thumb is not very green it seems.

-AJ