Quantcast
Cut Brooklyn Again
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut Brooklyn Again

Cut Brooklyn Again

Stumbled on another video on Cut Brooklyn. I know a lot of your thoughts on the guy, but he makes a lot of good points. I for one am kinda a fan of his

I can't figure out why he doesn't get them laser cut. He doesn't hand-roll the steel himself or HT them, why's he gotta angle-grind it?

You know, that stuck out weird to me as well. Everything else he does makes sense, but that angle grinder approach is a little wonky. Maybe even a plasma cutter would fair better?

Water jet would work here too.

I see he's gone down the path that Butch took, and is using Carpenter CTS-XHP.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

He's doing something right.

Seems like a genuine dude to me.

I'm a fan. He loves what he does, makes some apparently good quality stuff and to be honest, I'd like one of his knives.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Does anyone here have one of his knives? I would be curious to see how they perform.

His handles look uncomfortable, even for a western lover like me. But that is speculation.

Does everyone else grind before heat treat or after, it seems like even if you dip it in coolant after each pass on the belt, you still may be reaching a temp of ruining the temper on the edge?

I saw at least one piece of CPM154. Maybe that handle is called a Western Wa?

Comes off as an honest guy, I liked his video. Not too stuck on himself, always a plus. To acknowledge other makers as awesome is quite a compliment from a maker..................

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Does anyone here have one of his knives? I would be curious to see how they perform.

His handles look uncomfortable, even for a western lover like me. But that is speculation.
    Certainly don't ask Joel about any of that. At least not on the internet. He got flamed on a few forums at some point about his handles, profiles, etc. and apparently never got over it. He was really crappy to me when I offered to host a passaround for him, and guarantee the knife would be returned to him, just to have the chance to put his skeptics to rest, because I like American knifemakers. He got pretty insulting, and made it clear that he's busy because he is in a hip part of Brooklyn and doesn't want any more business. I still wish he'd get off his horse about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Does everyone else grind before heat treat or after, it seems like even if you dip it in coolant after each pass on the belt, you still may be reaching a temp of ruining the temper on the edge?
    If it's ground before heat treat, it has a higher chance of warping. It doesn't heat up that bad if you are using good, sharp belts and have a beefy motor behind it. The tip gets tricky. I am currently because I didn't taper a few blanks before HT, and now they are a massive PITA to taper without screwing them up.