Media Sayas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DK chef

Reaction score
excuse my poor english :D im still learning

i had a couple of old Magnolia sayas that i got with some knives i bought, and i use my knives in a pro kitchen so often they get stained with grease and oil. so i decided to give them a little fix. and to be honest, i dont realy like the look of plain magnolia without a finish.

im no kind of woodworker and i dont have the knowledge like a lot of people have here, i always admire people who can work with their hand, tools and beautiful wood. i have recived a couple of Sayas from Maxim lately and they are all realy beautiful so the plain magnolia sayas looked even more poor.

i sanded them with #240, #400 and #800 grit sandpaper, and sanded them a little thinner down the edge, then i gave them some dark valnut stain (the one you mix with water), sanded them when they were dry, stained them again, did that a couple of times, used Danish oil for first coat, let them dry and sanded them with #1000 grit, second coat Danish oil, and finished with organic beesvax i got from our honey supplier at work.

they are not buffed completely i have to do that later to give them the true finish.

the Sayas are used with a couple of Yoshikane SKD gyutos, that Maxim rehandle for me, Carbonext Suji, Hattori FH petty, Ino Geshin petty and a Carbonext Gyuto, so yes they are old knives :D the only one of them i use now are the SKD Yoshikanes wich are great in a pro kitchen. 220mm Gyuto, 250mm Gyuto and 250mm Suji (Suji Saya is not sanded yet)

there are a lot of improvement to do, but hey that´s my first time, i can always sand them down again and try another stain, i have a couple of sayas to go, so i will try another stain.

IMG_2392.jpg

Huge Hakka

IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

Lucky Peach #3

IMG_2385.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

Cool work on Sayas !! :D

But Hakka picture is very poor :curse:

thank you :D now this thread was about Sayas, not stones :spankarse: but you are right, i try some better pictures :D, just needed some good backround for my Sayas. the stone i shot right after use, not washed or made ready for posting so its raw

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

Good inspiration, thank Niclas.

Might try my hands on some ugly sayas that I have. Most have been sanded and oiled periodically, and that seem to work ok for me, a home cook.

thank you :D

it would work in a pro kitchen to :D, i just want them to match the handles, and pimp them a little :D it didnt take that long at all, for me it was a surprise the stain worked as it did, didn´t expected the stain and magnolia wood would look good.

Thank you Peco, now you know what im doing after work when you are working your a*# off ;)

Simply great job man. Looks very nice and for shure can withstand oil little better now :)

Thank you so much everybody :D

WillC i have a PM going your way :D, sorry for delay

Back