Quantcast
Lefty Knife Fix - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lefty Knife Fix

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    I'm a lefty and I have the moritaka 250 ks. The grind is asymmetric but it doesn't really bother me. I do sharpen mainly the face side though.
    I feel better about that purchase now, thanks! I believe that's the knife I'm getting too. The Aogami Super with the Masamoto KS shape? If you don't mind me asking a newbie question, what's the face side?

Don't worry. I don't know what the face side is either, lol.
    To make the Fujiwara more lefty friendly, you will need to make a fairly large bevel on the left side of the blade (as you're looking down at the knife and using it). For the Moritaka, it should not be a big issue, if it's one of those partial ground deals. Just sharpen as much or more on the left side as the right.

Welcome!

Is there a reason you can't choose a different knife--such as one with a 50/50 bevel? If you haven't even received the knives yet, maybe you could work an exchange...I believe Mark is a fair guy to deal with and I'm sure you can get something you really want that is setup a bit more neutral.

The couple of carbon Fujiwara's that I have both have strongly skewed right handed bevels (like 90/10 or more). IMHO it would take quite a bit of edge removal to flip it around to a lefty. You might want to unload the knife to a right handed person and pick something up that has a more 50/50 bevel or an outright lefty bevel (though that might be more expensive).

Before you buy a replacement sujihiki you could ask on this forum. I am sure people around here would enjoy directing towards a more lefty friendly knife.

Welcome into the fray- BTW

Cheers,
    rj

That's a good point. Show us some pics of the bevels on this knife.

face side, front side, whatever.

Welcome Mats.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    welcome, hope you find something you can use.

Since we know that there is no such thing as a 50/50 ground Japanese knife, we can then conclude that leftys should either buy left handed knives or the thinnest 60/40 ground blades that they can find to avoid sharpening and twisting issues. There's lots of nice knives that fall into this category but I don't believe either of the ones mentioned by the original poster are of that criteria.

***Remember, the edge is not the only thing that's ground asymmetrical - the entire blade is too.

Thanks guys... I didn't even think about the lefty thing until I started reading forums!