Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lefty Knife Fix

Now I was thinking. I don't really have to switch the bevel to be predominately lefty. Why not switch to 50/50?

Dave,
    You don't think the Fujiwara is a thin enough so it would work well with a large, lefty, chisel-ground edge?

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Mats View Post
    Now I was thinking. I don't really have to switch the bevel to be predominately lefty. Why not switch to 50/50?
    It depends on what you like. Some people like asymmetric bevels, some don't. The more asymmetric your bevel is the thinner the edge will be, something to keep in mind.

The Moritaka description given on CKTG says "These knives come with a 50/50 edge grind and an upgraded rosewood octagonal handle so this knife is equally good for left handed and right handed users." That's one of the reasons I purchased it.

Also, my extra extra coarse DMT metal came in today so I'ma gonna have at it!

This is more or less the case with all clad, partial ground knives.

Also, my extra extra course DMT metal came in today so I'ma gonna have at it!
    Have at what?

Grinding that bugger on the left side.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Grinding that bugger on the left side.
    If we're talking about the bevels, not knife face, I wouldn't advise starting with a DMT plate. They cut really fast and can leave gouges that are... not fun... to remove. Do you have a 500 grit stone?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    If we're talking about the bevels, not knife face, I wouldn't advise starting with a DMT plate. They cut really fast and can leave gouges that are... not fun... to remove. Do you have a 500 grit stone?
    No, I got a 250 and 1k.