Quantcast
Lefty Knife Fix - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lefty Knife Fix

I'm a lefty, and I've put lefty biased edges on all my knives, with zero issues. Infact I own thee mori ks in saltys video. Most of todays popular knives are thin, or at least thin behind the edge, and if not we usually thin them ourselves... You'd really have to try hard to notice any steering issues from the likes of a fujiwara it moritaka.

I say thin behind the edges a little, and then reinstate a slight lefty bias....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    I'm a lefty, and I've put lefty biased edges on all my knives, with zero issues. I say thin behind the edges a little, and then reinstate a slight lefty bias....
    As Dave has often pointed out, it's not just the edge but the whole blade that is asymmetric. I too have put lefty biased edges on some of my knives but I think this does little more than make me think I have fixed the problem, if it is truly a problem. The whole blade would need to be reground to really accomplish anything. Overall, I have not found major issues on double bevel knives.

I'm naturally left handed but due years of using either/both hands with carpentry tools (very useful to learn) I don't really have a major issue for example my single bevelled knives are righty's and thats how they are used. Otherwise with my double bevelled knives I use my left hand and have had no issues what so ever although I'm obviously no pro lol. All of my knives seem to be quite thin other than the Watanabe's and looking at my Konosuke Hd Gyuto there is a right bias but looking its probably 65-70 in favour of a righty and due to the thinness I've experienced no issues. I have 3 Moritaka's (all quite thin) they are great cutters and looking closely are not far off 50/50 perhaps a very slight right bias at most 60/40 so good for left handed use.

BTW it's really lame virtually no Japanese makers stock lefty friendly knife
    Grinds. I know there's a decent amount of leftys using Japanese knives
    Hopefully this changes overtime...

Thanks guys, lots of good info here. As Labor says above, maybe some makers will be willing to stock lefty knives in the close future. It's a shame we have to check out all the details behind a knife in order to purchase one. I might go the custom route very soon.

The only Japanese maker I remember that offers lefty knives for all models is Misono, in the last years Koki/JCK is offering more and more lefty knives upon request.

It does seem there is an inordinate amount of lefties on this forum...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

One thing I might add is that my Masamoto KS has a proper lefty grind and didn't cost extra so if there are any leftys on the fence about buying one I hope that helps. To be honest I think the disadvantages of being a lefty aren't that big a deal, unless you like single bevelled knives. The only one I have is an usuba and to be honest I don't use it so much any more, trying to use one in a pro environment is a bit of a nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Since we know that there is no such thing as a 50/50 ground Japanese knife, we can then conclude that leftys should either buy left handed knives or the thinnest 60/40 ground blades that they can find to avoid sharpening and twisting issues. There's lots of nice knives that fall into this category but I don't believe either of the ones mentioned by the original poster are of that criteria.

***Remember, the edge is not the only thing that's ground asymmetrical - the entire blade is too.
    Welcome!
    I would have to agree with Dave on this one. I'm a lefty as well and every right handed Japanese blade that I have purchased and subsequently ground for left-handed use has ALWAYS given me wedging/pulling problems some more severe than others, but the problem has always existed. Go ahead and get some left handed knives. By the time you spend the money on a righty and the professional regrinding to a lefty it will be basically the same amount without any of the hassle. Best of luck on this venture!
    Do not tell me I can't, let me succeed or fail. Even a failure is a small success.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath Besch View Post
    ...By the time you spend the money on a righty and the professional regrinding to a lefty it will be basically the same amount without any of the hassle. Best of luck on this venture!
    +1. Unless you just want the experience, I'd buy lefties.