Quantcast
Lefty Knife Fix
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lefty Knife Fix

Lefty Knife Fix

Hi, I'm a newbie and this is my first post. Is there anyone out there able to convert a knife from a right hand to a lefty? I mean in changing the grind/convex angles of a knife. All my knives are convex on the right and the bevel is greater on the right also. Where can I get good help?

Welcome to the Knut House!
    I would guess that you would loose so much metal that it wouldn't be worthwhile.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Mats View Post
    Hi, I'm a newbie and this is my first post. Is there anyone out there able to convert a knife from a right hand to a lefty? I mean in changing the grind/convex angles of a knife. All my knives are convex on the right and the bevel is greater on the right also. Where can I get good help?
    Changing the grind of a knife isn't going to be worth the time / effort. You can pretty easily change the bevel. Basically you want to just start removing more metal on the left hand side (at a lower angle) than on the right side of the knife (which should be done at a higher angle). As long as you continue thinning regularly eventually your knife bevels will become larger on the left hand side.

If you want to speed the process along you can really thin out the right side of the knife until there is no clear bevel. Set your bevels how you'd like them and you are good to go.

What knife is it?

Thanks for the quick response. If I just change the bevel, would that make a lot of difference as far as food sticking?

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    What knife is it?
    I have a Fujiwara Carbon Suji and a Moritaka 250mm Gyuto on it's way from CKTG.

Welcome!

Unfortunately, not likely. What knife is it?

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Welcome!

Unfortunately, not likely. What knife is it?
    Not likely as to what? Grind or bevel. Knife ID above.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Thanks for the quick response. If I just change the bevel, would that make a lot of difference as far as food sticking?
    In general (and tk would be better at answering this than me), the larger your bevel is the more steering and less sticking you will encounter. The grind of the blade face will play the biggest role, however.

I have a Fujiwara Carbon Suji and a Moritaka 250mm Gyuto on it's way from CKTG.
    I'm a lefty and I have the moritaka 250 ks. The grind is asymmetric but it doesn't really bother me. I do sharpen mainly the face side though.