Quantcast
The Butcher post - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Butcher post

Working in the meat dept has been interesting and I'm always looking for more info on whats going on. We only get primals and we break them down for the custom case and special orders. It's nice to be able to have customers come to the counter and ask for something spacific that they don't see in the case and one of us can just pick up the primal and cut it to the customers wishes. I miss that from my younger years while living near a full butcher shop. While we don't deal with full animals I am still happy to have the full attention of the customers as we do our bit to help bring back the small town butcher shop experience.

Looking for books and all on Hog Butchery I'm even more addicted to pork than I was before getting this job lol

The beginning of the end.

Amen, Eamon. I'm fortunate to line in an area that has 3 pack houses within 30 min of my home, and all cater to local livestock growers and hunters.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Quote Originally Posted by steeley View Post

[IMG][/IMG] 1875
    Btw, just put two and two together. At that new site ,The Butcher and Baker, they sell a t-shirt with this image on it.

k.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I was looking at the meat case at New Seasons market a couple of days ago and asked for a chunk of pork shoulder. As the guy was wrapping it up I asked him why they never had bone in available, and he said that they just always did the boneless, but there was some unwrapped in the back if I wanted bone in, so he went back and got a big chunk and cut me one of the size that I wanted! It is in the BGE right now, up to about 160 so far.
    Sometimes you just gotta ask!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

That butcher tin type photo notice that the knife is a drawing on the apron.
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

what would a post like this be without a recipe for headcheese . 1898

[IMG][/IMG]

or haggis

[IMG][/IM

all from Meat Man friend book.

I have been going through a publication called the Butcher's Advocate from 1904 it came out every week in Chicago for the trade
    well i still have about 500 pages to go but here is a few things.

here are the wanted ads ,
    [IMG][/IMG]

and a good knife page
    [IMG][/IMG]

even then trying to put the sharpener out of business.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Steely, you must be getting a higher degree in history or something and writing a dissertation. I had to do primary research for my history degree and your historical finds seem very familiar. Maybe I'm wrong.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson