"Au Nain" chef knife question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregg

Reaction score
Hello all; I've been lurking a while, and enjoying the wealth of information herein. Sooooo,

I just acquired an "Au Nain" late 60's/early 70's carbon steel chef's knife in pretty good nick, (except for some grind marks from someone trying to:
1) thin the blade(?), unlikely, but it is nicely convex on the face! OR,
2) sharpen with a belt sander while being clueless!!!

It's a 270 with a nice profile, albeit a bit thick behind the edge for my taste, (planning to thin a bit if performance isn't up to par, after I'm done sanding out the divots!), takes a quick sharp edge with little effort, and feels nice in hand in spite of the weight, (300 grams-ish, maybe more).

Just curious as to the actual steel used, (I actually tried Au Nain, AND the foundry to try and get the lowdown, graciously received, but no one knew any thing I didn't already know, (sigh)).

If anyone knows, I'd be really happy for the info. My guess is 1095, but what do I know?

P.S. It's got rosewood/brass rivets handle, if that helps.

Thanks!:help4:

P.P.S. it's 300 mm, not 270!

Last edited:
Yeah, pics of any and all markings on the knife will help greatly. We have some great knife historians here.

Thanks,

I don't seem to have permisson for attached files, (?). I was pretty sure it was cx100/1095, but was curious to know "for sure", if that's even possible! I have absolutely no idea what my old Sabs are made of, but it doesn't stop me luvvin' 'em! I'll try and post some pics, if I get "permission", but before you get all excited, it's going to be web cam quality, (yuck IOW, my camera ist kaput!), and even with good optics, logo is just barely visible now. Ive been trying to not sand too hard that part of the blade, but it, (the stamp) is slowly fading away. Oh dear.

Thanks,

I don't seem to have permisson for attached files, (?). I was pretty sure it was cx100/1095, but was curious to know "for sure", if that's even possible! I have absolutely no idea what my old Sabs are made of, but it doesn't stop me luvvin' 'em! I'll try and post some pics, if I get "permission", but before you get all excited, it's going to be web cam quality, (yuck IOW, my camera ist kaput!), and even with good optics, logo is just barely visible now. Ive been trying to not sand too hard that part of the blade, but it, (the stamp) is slowly fading away. Oh dear.

Upload them at www.imgur.com for an example. There are loads of sites but i prefer imgur

Upload them at www.imgur.com for an example. There are loads of sites but i prefer imgur
try here:
Oy6ZZ.jpg

cOIcj.jpg

Thanks for the tip!

Please compare the stamp on your knife with that of
aunain.fr
If the stamp is the one of a wholesaler it will be very hard to find out who really produced it, as both parties will remain silent - if anybody knows fifty years after. Probably Au Nain ordered with different Thiers producers.

Back