I need a recommendation for a pressure cooker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikeC

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am cooking some stock now in a 4.5 liter pressure cooker, and wishing that it was bigger. It is a T-Fal, and seems to work fine, but I would like to get something in the 6 liter range.
I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for brand, and if 6 is a good idea, as opposed to maybe 8?
Thanks for any I sight that anyone would like to share!

I don't have a pressure cooker, but just checked the Cook's Illustrated website, and they recommend:

Product Name
Fagor Duo 8-Quart Pressure Cooker

Manufacturer
Fagor

Model Number
Price

$109.95

Recommendation Status
Recommended

Testers’ Comments
Efficient, safe, easy to use, and relatively inexpensive, our favorite stovetop pressure cooker beat out the electric competition.

Size
8 quarts

Where To Shop
Cookware.com (888-478-4606, www.cookware.com, SKU #FGR1008)

They also recommend the smaller electric model:

Product Name
Fagor Electric Multi-Cooker

Manufacturer
Fagor

Model Number

Price
$119.95

Recommendation Status
Recommended

Testers’ Comments
Although this model performed well as a pressure cooker and rice cooker, its use as a slow cooker is limited because it has only one setting: low. When we first published this review, the price, $200, just wasn't worth it. At its new lower price of $120, it's a much better value.

Size
6 quarts

Where To Shop
www.cookware.com (SKU #FGR1055)

Hey! How come when you ask, you get recommended a $100 unit, and I asked a few weeks ago I was recommended a Swiss $400+ unit... Sup widat? :eyebrow:

Cuz yer a Canuck?
BTW, after reading reviews of the Fagor and their customer service I don't think I will go that route!
The cooker that I have is French made, I won't buy one made in China, but the retailers don't tell you where their stuff is made that I can find!

Amazon US has them for about half that........

BTW, after reading reviews of the Fagor and their customer service I don't think I will go that route!

Wow, sorry Spike, just read a few reviews on Amazon.

Sounds terrible.

Guess one has to take the Cook's Illustrated recommendation with a grain of salt.

They don't spend much time with a product so don't see the problems that can arise with use, and they don't interact with the customer service people much, I'll wager!

I have the Fagor and had no issues with it so far. Never had to deal with their CS, so I can't comment on that. Needed a replacement part (my cleaning person broke off part of the handle - no idea how that happened), and parts came fast and were reasonable. But maybe there are variations?

Stefan

Yeah, I have the same Fagor and use it for pressure canning as well as regular pressure cooking, and haven't had issues yet (knock on wood.) Can't speak to their customer service.

I am using Kuhn Rikon. I got a set that came with 2 lids (one pressure cooker one glass) and two pressure cooker pots. I really only wanted the big pot but the set was almost cheaper than the one single pot I wanted.

Now the small pot gets 99% of the use. Highly recommended it. I think this is what I got. Been a few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have decided to go with the Kuhn Rikon. I had intended to cheap out, butt the value remains after the bill is forgotten.

And I think that I will go with the 8 quart version.

Spike, I PC at least three times per week and have gone through several PC's. The one I've had for the past five years is my Kuhn Rikon 5 quart called a hotel-braiser. Its cool because you can saute in it or brown meat the PC in it. One of the most expensive but you'll never look back.

Back