Quantcast
knife recommendation for sushi beginner - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: knife recommendation for sushi beginner

I think you already chose a knife, and I'm sure whatever you chose is fantastic (or at least I hope it is). Just a friendly tip, be sure to go through the uraoshi process before using it.

You may already know, but Uraoshi is the conditioning of the flat part of the traditional Japanese knives. If you don't go through the uraoshi process straight out of the box, it will make sharpening difficult and make the blade brittle. I have seen many non-uraoshi knives come back crazy chipped, so I don't want it to happen to you.

Thanks for the info. Jon had recommend a few knives and I am going to start with the Gesshin Ginga 240mm Gyuto. I will look into the "Uraoshi" process as I want to start off strong with my new knives. unfortunately they are out of stock so I will have to be patient for now

uraoshi is for single bevel knives, but you're starting off with a double bevel knife. It is useful to know though when you do get around to single bevel knives. I have a video on it if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Shun: thick and heavy, poor heat treatment, chippy, thick edge, flashy, overpriced, underperformer, aggressive marketing.
    Global: design you love or hate, handle, relatively soft steel, some people find sharpening difficult and report hard burr raising and removal. Price.
    Shun thick? thick behind edge? underperformer? bs

Not shure weve seen same knives

I must admit, although I have no experience with Japanese knives (yet) but my Ken Onion Shun is by far the most comfortable knife I have used in about 15 years. I was taught to use the pinch grip in culinary school and that knife moulds to your hand when you use that type of grip. I am embarrassed to say besides steeling, I had my knives sent out to be sharpened but when it came back it was very sharp, obviously I have no real reference that is why I am looking forward to my new knife getting back in stock (you hear me Jon )

Since this is probably a pretty noob question I think this would fit into this thread.

When considering a yanagi for sushi, is it better to go for something thats blue steel, damascus, or SS clad? Wondering how much of a problem discoloration is between the different types.
    Am I the only one who searched for The Edge from U2 and ended up here?

Get a stainless damascus clad blue steel core one!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Get a stainless damascus clad blue steel core one!
    of course lol
    Am I the only one who searched for The Edge from U2 and ended up here?

Quote Originally Posted by Still-edo View Post
    Since this is probably a pretty noob question I think this would fit into this thread.

When considering a yanagi for sushi, is it better to go for something thats blue steel, damascus, or SS clad? Wondering how much of a problem discoloration is between the different types.
    Get white #2 steel. Does the job and will likely be the sharpest thing you've ever touched. Anything else would be very expensive...