The Wavy , scalloped , serrated edge.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
I was looking through some antique malls here and asking about knives not much luck but i did see a bread knife with a wavy edge made out of a hand saw and the top was the saw blade sort of like this but the serrated saw edge on the spine .
lojqz.jpg
[/IMG]

And i noticed that the that shape was not any thing new.

ni6pD.png
[/IMG]

That top one looks like the brainchild of a knut from around here. Sinus serrations, kiritsuke tip, and nogent handle on a carbon steel bread knife.

so some sample,s of .
RbSyf.png
[/IMG]

yu5ji.jpg
[/IMG]

i have this Wusthof slicer that i like

TKnlB.jpg
[/IMG]

F.Dick
Bauhaus Knives

Our two very unusual F.Dick Bauhaus knives are new releases of the original 1912 versions. Their striking Bauhaus design reflects the functionalism and tubular steel element that defined the Bauhaus movement from Germany in the early part of the twentieth century. Even today, these Bauhaus knives seem to be ahead of their times

PeRx.jpg
[/IMG]

on vintage and antique bread knives, my understanding was the big wavy scalloped edge was for softer sandwich breads, like white bread and brioche and the saw toothed edges were for hard crusty breads, like baguettes
and boules.

there is a video on there site that's all right but at the end there is a birds beak paring knife sharped on a belt grinder.

:biggrin:
on vintage and antique bread knives, my understanding was the big wavy scalloped edge was for softer sandwich breads, like white bread and brioche and the saw toothed edges were for hard crusty breads, like baguettes
and boules.

OH that's just crazy talk come on ...... no i think your right thanks Son.

It's gotta be really difficult to got to the bathroom with that thing on.

Oh and that Gude damascus bread knife $5174.62

and boules.

For OLD serrated knifes, I wonder if it has to do more with the wider scallops being easier and cheaper to produce. Looking at the 1st pic in the OP, it would be much easier and cheaper to produce with mid 19th century and earlier technology than the much tighter scallops which we typically use today.

hmmm that would make sense as some of no handle ones were given away . but they were making fine tooth saws then too.

that sounds like a good theory, but that first one was probably made in 30's up into the early 60's and there are many that were made prior to the turn of the century with fine serrrated edges. I was quite serious about the different serrations , for different bread uses. The scalloped edge really became prevalent when people were able to buy ready made bread in the store instead of making it fresh everyday. The vast majority of the wavy scalloped edge bread knives I have seen have all been premium giveaways or advertising knives,made by bread companies or small grocers, this particular style of knife started to die off within a few years of the availability of presliced breads, which was a revolutionary idea at the time. Every few years some else will come out with a similar knife and tout it's revolutionary design and there will be a slight resurgence and then it becomes a drawer *****. The Japanese make one that looks very similar to the first one and they call it a soft bread knife.

serrated.jpg

serrated2.jpg

I was looking through some antique malls here and asking about knives not much luck but i did see a bread knife with a wavy edge made out of a hand saw and the top was the saw blade sort of like this but the serrated saw edge on the spine .
lojqz.jpg
[/IMG]

And i noticed that the that shape was not any thing new.

ni6pD.png
[/IMG]

steeley, did it look similar to this, but with a wavy edge on one side and a serrated saw edge on the other? if it is this I can help you with the ID.

disston.jpg

Doesn't Guede claim that they invented the serrated edge? Don't remember when that was, though. In any case, that long Guede remains my favorite, even if it's not in Balbach damascus. Btw, thanks for highlighting the undeservedly neglected and shunned serrated blade ;)

Stefan

it was like this western handle and serrated on the spine i would of bought it if it looked like this ,
bRrpF.jpg
[/IMG]save my $16

the one with the brown handle and in same shape.

tAaso.jpg
[/IMG]

This one has kullen's on a bread knife :slaphead:
0XyDE.jpg
[/IMG]

Lansky Crock Stick Serreated Bread Knife Sharpener
bJW3O.jpg
[/IMG]

Back