Quantcast
Looking for Good Coffee Supplier - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Good Coffee Supplier

I'm not sure why any one wouldn't want pea-berry but my go to places are;

http://greenwellfarms.com/

http://www.roosterfarms.com/

Mark, you have lots of suggestions for coffee, unless your pot can hit and maintain the proper water temps you will never get everything the beans have to offer.

Its a slippery slope to head down!

A pour over filtercone and electric kettle are a good way to see the differences proper water temps can make in the cup.

Mark, if you don't have one already, get a burr grinder and buy whole bean. Switching from a whirly blade to the burr got the single best increase in flavor in all my coffee drinking years.

There are lots of good coffee roasters and some were mentioned here, so try the same coffee from each one and see what you like best. I usually get mine from Porto Rico Roasters or Coffee Bean Direct. Neither are boutique roasters but they do it in-house and because they have high volume the coffee has always been fresh.

BTW, when you said poo-berry were you talking about that monkey poop coffee?
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

+1 on ditching the whirly blade bean grinders. I thought Poo-berry was a typo for pea berry but if Mark was talking about Kopi Luwak I can understand the aversion.
    I'd also suggest a French Press but if sticking with AD then the Cuisinart burr grinders run around $50 and are a steal for what they do.

Dave

If you are noticing an improvement in taste when moving from a whirly blade grinder to a burr type, then you are likely grinding too long. Pulse the whirly type just until you get grounds, not powder.

much more awesomer
    Pour-over and good-old-fashioned vacuum pot coffees give two distinct but very clean profiles. Next best (IMVHO) is French press, which I call quick-and-dirty coffee. I still drink more espresso than anything else, and that is the toughest form of coffee with which to achieve consistency, even with the most expensive equipment available. I have a humble setup for espresso -- Rancilio Silvia v.3 that I'm hoping to PID, and a cheap burr grinder -- that makes really great coffee once in a while. I'd love to step up to a Mazzer Mini grinder and perhaps a Quickmill Andreja Premium, but for now I make pretty good espresso on a fairly regular basis. IC Black Cat most of the time, BTW.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by mano View Post
    BTW, when you said poo-berry were you talking about that monkey poop coffee?
    I had read about collecting Lemur poop and washing the undigested beans.

I really got spoiled a while back when a customer who roasts his own was sending me coffee.
    Right now I am using one of the rotary grinders. Sounds like I need the burr type grinder.
    I will check out the suppliers and you guys have mentioned. Plus a better brewer.

I will need it to be convenient, brew then into an air pot because I like to drink coffee through the day while I am working.

I get over to Ashland once in a while, and yes, I enjoy good pastries.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

+1 on the burr grinder. Also on the brew method. I really like the French press, although there are many who prefer the direct pour over, like Chemex. A bean that hasn't been mentioned is Hogan Brothers, although they are small and East coast. I love a roast they haved called Strange Brew.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
    I'm not sure why any one wouldn't want pea-berry but my go to places are;

http://greenwellfarms.com/

http://www.roosterfarms.com/
    I prefer pea berry to all other beans.

-AJ

Based on what you guys have told me,
    I am thinking I should get the Bonavita BV1800 8-Cup Coffee Maker with a thermal caraffe.
    That way I don't have to use an air pot.

I think I will try out some of the bean suppliers you mentioned until I find out what I like the best.

For home I will try the electric kettle and cone.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store