Hattori KD re-etched and OOTB

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiffRaff

Reaction score
A photo for those considering a trial by acid for a beloved knife. These are actually two different knives, top one re-etched bottom one as is except custom handles, both by Daniel O'Malley (koa and snakewood). I followed an early post by Dave on how to DIY, bought the solution from Radio Shack, cut open a soda bottle, poured in the solution diluted with hot vinegar, taped the bolster and bravely lowered my beloved KD santoku into the bath. It worked well, keeping the red chop but discoloring (darkening) the core, which Dave told me always happens, as is visible in many of his re-handling posts. No difference in the way food sticks to it; the only difference is cosmetic. Also, you have to be especially careful in covering the bolster with tape since the polished surface can get eaten away, which happened in my case. Dave repolished it for me. For KD fans only: note subtle differences in the shape of the blade and bolster. The re-etched knife is older. The newer one was purchased from Dick in Germany in 2010. I was told it had been hanging in their window and was the last one they had! Now, with Alberto's help :happymug: they're probably an extinct species. . . .

IMG_1915.jpg

Nice, those are they first re-handled kd's i have seen.

looks good.

Is the top one older version? Blade shape looks much better...

Now, with Alberto's help :happymug: they're probably an extinct species. . . .

LOL, got a laugh out of that!

BUT, I must say that those new handles do indeed look gorgeous!!! Maybe I should actually consider rehandling mine... food for thought! (pun intended). Does anyone know a good knife rehandler in Europe somewhere, whom you would trust with KDs?

RiffRaff: would you happen to have a larger picture of the two knives (or PM the original res photo)? I would love to see the result up-close. Did the chop on the older knife fade with time, or with the re-etch? I was telling myself that I should protect it with wax before etching, but I do not know if the trouble is necessary or not...

Alberto, just PM'd you with the original photo. You can try contacting Oivind to see if the craftsman he mentions in his most recent thread, Harald Andersen, could do western scales.

This gives a better view of the pattern and improved contrast.

IMG_1923.jpg

Back