Getting to that time again.....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKerr

Reaction score
...that time for a new knife!

Been getting flogged at work for the last few months and seeing as I'm paid hourly and I'm don't have any free time or social life as a consequence, I've got a bit of spare cash. Looking at picking up a new gyuto. No real preference to carbon or stainless (previously I would have said stainless, but I'm not cutting a great deal of reactive foods in my new job, so whatever), I'm easy in regards to Yo or Wa style, although if I did go for a wa-gyuto I'd prefer a dark wood handle (chestnut, rosewood, ebony etc) purely for aesthetic appeal. For a rough ball park figure, I'll say, about $500

Particular names floating around in my head at the moment are: Devin, Heiji, Tadatsuna, Hattori (FH, I like the handles), Nenox, Yoshikane, Mizuno (blue) and haslinger. Keen to hear any thoughts people have on said makers and their wears, though I'd be eager to hear about other options so please share your thoughts on whatever's in your arsenal at the moment.

Cheers in advance,
Josh

I've tried all of those except for the Nenox. I would choose Devin or Heiji out of those you've listed. I'd also consider Gengetsu or Gesshin Hide if you was some extra wear resistance.

I have owned all of the knives listed except the Haslinger. But I got to try one out. And I couldn't agree more with gengetsu or hide. I am using my hide at work today and love this thing. Mine is thicker than the new ones but the blue 2 is excellent and isn't super reactive. It builds a patina but no problems with any food. It takes and excellet edge and holds it very well. No issues with chipping. All around a great work knife. On the other hand the gengetsu is probably the best cutting knife that I own.

-Chuck

Depending on your timeframe I would strongly consider waiting for some of marko's ready made knives to come up for sale but my feeling is that those will go quick when they do become availiable so it might be hard to snag one.

2nd on the Marko knife. That is a list I will be joining very shortly.

Cheers for the feedback so far, greatly appreciated. Forgot about the Hide, it is a very tempting offer, my only concern with that is it's listed as 230mm heel to tip which I feel might be a touch short, my preference is for 27cm gyutos.

For those who have tried the heiji gyutos, what are your thoughts on his carbon vs semi stainless. I assume his carbon is somewhat similar to Shigefusa's but is there anything comparable to the semi-stainless?

In terms of a time frame, I'm in no hurry so I'm open to going custom as well. I have plenty of knives on rotation, I was just keen to try something new.

Cheers,
Josh

Back