Quantcast
Damascus Knives & Re-Etchng - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Damascus Knives & Re-Etchng

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    When you are adding a acid to anything else (lets say water), you pour the acid in to the water. Other wise you will have a reaction of all the acid wanting to react to the first drop causing a explosion. It's been over 20 years since I took a chem. class, so I'm sure someone could explain it better.
    it's not just the possibility of a reaction, pouring the acid second can simply lead to a splash back. you don't want that either. AAA (always add acid).

WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    That's how they come from Shigefusa... its a really impressive polish job and not one I've been able to replicate. I can mirror polish, but getting a natural stone finish that both shows the contrast in the blade and is perfectly smooth and even is... "tricky" to say the least.

I posted this in a different thread before, but here's the link to my shige with finish from polishing, etching, and then patina:
    Attachment 7973
    gallery: https://picasaweb.google.com/1176006...83/MarkoShige#
    Hey that is a gorgeous knife it looks great!!

Etching!

Hey So recently a Friend and I decided to give the etching a try. We tried the damascus first then got interested in trying some other things to like the white #2 and some Blue steel as well with different finishes I wish I had all the picks but the one I am most proud of is my Tojiro White #2 petty.
    Then I gave it a little cleaning and took off the Kurouchi finish and then we etched it. Then I gave her a little love and polished up the Top to produce a mirrior-ish finish on the top then it goes to a light dim gray on the bevel then to a jet black on the edge. It looks sweet
    I think its a pretty sweet Knife now!!
    Thanks For the Inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by RoanRoks29 View Post
    Hey So recently a Friend and I decided to give the etching a try. We tried the damascus first then got interested in trying some other things to like the white #2 and some Blue steel as well with different finishes I wish I had all the picks but the one I am most proud of is my Tojiro White #2 petty.
    Then I gave it a little cleaning and took off the Kurouchi finish and then we etched it. Then I gave her a little love and polished up the Top to produce a mirrior-ish finish on the top then it goes to a light dim gray on the bevel then to a jet black on the edge. It looks sweet
    I think its a pretty sweet Knife now!!
    Thanks For the Inspiration!
    cool, but...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Welcome Roan! BTW, I work with this guy

@Justin - Just put up a thread on the etching stuffs Roan and I did. Hope you enjoy the pics!

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...54-Etching-fun!

Thanks for the tutorial.

I have an old Hattori HD5 I like to re-etch. I'm living in Sweden and we don't have radio shack, so what's the compound in the etchant you use? Iron chloride? Anyone have an idea on what grit finish it's on the HD series, 600 as well?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ParJ View Post
    I have an old Hattori HD5 I like to re-etch. I'm living in Sweden and we don't have radio shack, so what's the compound in the etchant you use? Iron chloride? Anyone have an idea on what grit finish it's on the HD series, 600 as well?

Cheers

Ferric Chloride is what we're using here. The level to which you finish your knife isn't as important as you finishing it as evenly as possible although it does help to go as fine as you can.

Naturally it's called ferric not iron... Thanks for the info!

+ Reply to Thread