Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 86 Individual componets

86 Individual componets

Alinea
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

Cool video, which is what I have come to expect from Grant's team but I have to admit, this dish looks incredibly overwhelming. I also feel as if I would run out of lamb long before I was able to try each and every one of the 86 components. It will be interesting to hear reviews of the dish, I imagine they will run the full spectrum of likes and dislikes.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Yeah cool stuff for sure. Just not my cup of tea, as a diner or professional. I love that my kitchen is small my staff is small and all the pieces are fairly interchangeable

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

When a dish becomes special because it has so many components instead of being special and happening to have many components, there's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    When a dish becomes special because it has so many components instead of being special and happening to have many components, there's a problem.
    Agreed.

I had an instructor in school who was honestly obsessed with Grant and Heston Blumenthal, I had two classes that she taught that included a larger quantity than needed of molecular techniques. It was fun but, and don't get me wrong there are techniques and things that come in handy and the science behind certain things is helpful. I just have used maybe 10% of the things I learned as a professional. It isn't the style of food I want to cook or a crowd I'm looking to cater to. I admire them for doing it and it is impressive, but I also view it as ridiculously egocentric. I wouldn't mind trying it but I doubt you'll find me booking a reservation there or any other place offering a 14+course tasting menu.

There is a place for everything in this culinary world.

I'm sure this isn't Grant stroking his ego or anything like that... I'd imagine if he thinks a dish can encompass 86 flavours, it can. He probably needs a good challenge these days as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Messy Jesse View Post
    There is a place for everything in this culinary world.

I'm sure this isn't Grant stroking his ego or anything like that... I'd imagine if he thinks a dish can encompass 86 flavours, it can. He probably needs a good challenge these days as well.
    Not sure I agree with that...at all. Is it ok to marinate something in piss just because Patches O'Houlihan likes it?

Home run, Andrew!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

+1.

I would be most impressed if all of them 86 flavours or even mixes of flavours went well with lamb.

Can't it be both?

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Can't it be both?
    Exactly.