Quantcast
Wa handle question
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wa handle question

Wa handle question

Does anyone know a place to purchase just the simple wa handles, the ones on japanese knives with the light wood and dark top portion?

Thanks

John

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    Has anyone tried their octagonal handles? They seem like a simple enough design, but it's hard to tell what the fit and finish are like from just photos. For example, they don't seem to have any taper, but I can't tell...

I purchased the one for the petty. If there was taper, it was very, very slight. Fit and finish were good - not up to Stefan's or Marko's standards, but more like the wa-handle on a Takeda.

Rick

Since it looks like you are a custom knife maker, you should check out the amazing handle work by our very own, Stefan Keller.

http://www.skeller.info/handles/test/

Thanks for the links! I am a custom maker and am in the process of learning how to make a wa handle. I thought it may be good to offer the option of a cheaper handle installed instead of a custom for someone that wants to spend most of the money on the blade and not the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by JMJones View Post
    Thanks for the links! I am a custom maker and am in the process of learning how to make a wa handle. I thought it may be good to offer the option of a cheaper handle installed instead of a custom for someone that wants to spend most of the money on the blade and not the handle.
    John,

I've seen pictures of the damascus you make and it would be a crime to put a plain magnolia (ho-wood) handle on a knife made from it. I'd say the minimum handle you should offer is the ebony/pakkawood ones from The Epicurean Edge, but even that's pushing it. Knives like yours cry out for ironwood or redwood burl.

I'd love to see a tutorial on making a wa-handle from our resident experts, but I'd hate to take them away from their work. But maybe if we ask nicely...

Regards,

Rick

+ Reply to Thread