Media Tojiro ITK Bread - video

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin0505

Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't think that I posted this on here before, it's obviously not as action / dubsep - packed as the legendary Thoery production. I wanted to give a closer look at the knife and, in particular, the serrations an how well the handle delicate baked-good. As anyone that bakes or knows a cake baker will tell you: not "crumbing" a cut surface is very important for icing.
Anyway, with the re-occurring "bread knife" topic always popping up and steely's recent post on vintage serrations, I though that this video might be interesting to some.

For what it's worth:
[video=youtube_share;x841u2nZkqw]http://youtu.be/x841u2nZkqw[/video]

Thanks!

Uh, I'm assuming you were the cinematographer and not the hand model?

Great job.Nice video. And as many times stated before. Love my Tojiro ITK.

Maybe I should try one out. It's rather cheap and it seems very cool :D

I really like mine a lot although I'm pretty sure I can make most of those cuts sans crumbs with a nice suji. Where it really shines is crusty stuff, imo. :)

I really like mine a lot although I'm pretty sure I can make most of those cuts sans crumbs with a nice suji. Where it really shines is crusty stuff, imo. :)
And price imo:)

That's a great video!! I have to get back on top of things now!!

I've never seen anything like that before and still don't know how that even happened in the first place... :dontknow:

I've never seen anything like that before and still don't know how that even happened in the first place... :dontknow:

Mad knife skills. Doubt it will ever be replicated:biggrin:

The smiley face is neat :p I like my Tojiro ITK very much, Cannot go wrong with the price. I kindah want a new handle on mine.

I need you to send me about 12 of those muffin cakes or whatever they are, they look delicious. My only gripe with my Tojiro ITK break knife is that it fails on super crusty breads, but then again I have not found a bread knife that could handle that either. Maybe I would have to spend 2k plus on a gude to get that performance...no thanks.

I need you to send me about 12 of those muffin cakes or whatever they are, they look delicious. My only gripe with my Tojiro ITK break knife is that it fails on super crusty breads, but then again I have not found a bread knife that could handle that either. Maybe I would have to spend 2k plus on a gude to get that performance...no thanks.

Or $157-172 depending on length for the misono here.http://japanesechefsknife.com/MolybdenumSeries.html
Have been interested in trying one since way back when I saw Salty's.

They where my baker-friend's own formulation for "ultra moist" white cake. I think they had sour-cream in the batter. Because of the moisture content, they where a weird combination of delicate (structure/dintegrity) but heavy (weight). they basically had to be baked and eaten on the same day because after that they started to loose structural integrity and the texture got weird.

Anyway, we tested cutting them with a bunch of different knives and the ITK was the easiest to get really clean cuts with. The problem with using a straight-bladed knife like a suji is that you have less cutting edge per length of blade than with the wavy serrations that are on the ITK. This means that, with a suji, you have to move the blade more to perform the same cut and it's movement of the side of the blade against the cut surface that creates the crumbing effect on delicate baked goods.

I'm not saying that a skilled user (like TK) with a very thin, ultra-sharp straight-bladed knife (costing several times what the ITK costs)couldn't match the performance of the ITK in this application, but it would require knife skill and hardware, beyond what a non-knife-knut ( like my baker friend) would likely have.

As far as the ultra-crusty bread issue: the ITK actually does pretty well on all but the most armored of the French breads, and it cuts with a lot less flying crumbs / crush shrapnel then traditional "pointy" serrations.
The last couple shots in the video are of some pretty crusty, hardy, craft breads. One of the tricks that I've found helps is to start the cut / create an entry point in the crust using the point of either the tip or the heel of the knife. The wavy serrations do sometimes have trouble getting started/ biting into hard / smooth crusts and creating that "chip" in the armor using the tip or heel gives them a place to dig in.

Anyway, thanks everyone for watching / your comments.

Justin,

Thanks for the tips for extra crusty bread, I guess it might just be the Indian and not the arrow. :O

Justin,

Thanks for the tips for extra crusty bread, I guess it might just be the Indian and not the arrow. :O

No, you're certainly correct that the ITK is not ideal for super crusty stuff. Still, there are ways to "make due" until you save up for that 2k damascus gude bread knife... and then figure out where to buy one.

Back