Quantcast
Holy Fried Burrito Batman! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holy Fried Burrito Batman!

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    I pan fry mine, come out great, cook fast, never unravel. just make sure you don't have the heat too high.

This is actualy the best way to fry them.....the trick to keeping them together is all in the roll-fold-roll trick. If you do deep fry them then paste them shut as recommended above like an egg roll.

I am originally from southern California where chimichangas are all over the place..as far as I can gather, they have all been deep fried. I worked in a place where we did taquitos with flour tortillas and we used the pick method plus sandwiched the baskets in order to keep them submerged and evenly cooked. I have also pan fried many a home-made burrito, and had quite tasty results. However, they have always ended up like a flat-top grilled burrito rather than what I know as a true chimichanga. But then again, its possible that I have never used enough oil when doing this. Either way, it's all pretty delicious.

-Kriegs

Or a no frill pick. Plastico no bueno.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

wait! what does "chimichanga" mean?

I have had luck at work pinning with two pick (I cut the frills off) and sandwiching between the baskets. Run greasier than I would like but maybe that is because we use a sandwich wrap and not a true flour tortilla? Cool that it worked but really ties up the fryer so won't be running any lunch specials of these .

-AJ

Sara, a chimichanga is a deep fried burrito.

-AJ

On a related note, anyone have a good method for deep frying mini taco shells? I cut 2 to 2.5 inch rounds of corn tortillas, but they don't work well in a regular taco basket. I ended up 'devising' a mold of sorts out of stiff wire - but it's labor intensive doing one at a time. Any my apologies to AJ if I've gone too far off topic.......

I have no experience with them but they do make specific fry baskets for chimichangas.

http://www.zesco.com/Pronto-891-Chim...-pz566D008.htm

At home I fry yesterday's burritos and they stay together fine, I guess the day inthe fridge under wrapps helps that.

As for tiny tacos, I use the edge of my spatula.
    BBQ Heretic

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Namaxy View Post
    On a related note, anyone have a good method for deep frying mini taco shells? I cut 2 to 2.5 inch rounds of corn tortillas, but they don't work well in a regular taco basket. I ended up 'devising' a mold of sorts out of stiff wire - but it's labor intensive doing one at a time. Any my apologies to AJ if I've gone too far off topic.......
    Neal, about four minutes into this video AB makes a cool rig for doing full size corn tortillas. I don't see why you couldn't scale it down.

+ Reply to Thread