Quantcast
Holy Fried Burrito Batman!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Holy Fried Burrito Batman!

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Top of Georgia
    Posts
    1,218

    Holy Fried Burrito Batman!

    Slow day today at work so I tried a chimichanga idea out. Fail.

    How do you fry these things! Is there a special basket? I tried nesting my fry baskets but they still floated and fell apart.

    Thanks!

    -AJ

  2. #2
    Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,090
    Pin them closed with a frill pick.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Top of Georgia
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Pin them closed with a frill pick.
    Boy do I feel silly, but what's a frill pick?

    -AJ

  4. #4
    Senior Member DeepCSweede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mequon, WI
    Posts
    1,262
    I use a little bit of flour water paste to keep mine together.

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,993
    Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Boy do I feel silly, but what's a frill pick?

    -AJ


    I'd pull the cellophane off, but any toothpick will work.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    sachem allison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    3,970
    Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Slow day today at work so I tried a chimichanga idea out. Fail.

    How do you fry these things! Is there a special basket? I tried nesting my fry baskets but they still floated and fell apart.

    Thanks!

    -AJ
    I pan fry mine, come out great, cook fast, never unravel. just make sure you don't have the heat too high.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

  7. #7

    knyfeknerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Posts
    2,725
    butcher twine or if you sandwich it right, just one fryer basket on top of the other. Oh yes they do make a special basket too.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

  8. #8
    Senior Member Crothcipt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Posts
    3,494
    If you use flour tortilla you can use water to close off the roll. I think you can doe the same with corn, but never tried it. I also do the stacking fryer baskets. If you have to much filling coming out use frill picks to help seal and support the seams.

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,217
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    I pan fry mine, come out great, cook fast, never unravel. just make sure you don't have the heat too high.
    +1. Another variation that I do when I only want to make one or two is to just brush on some of my oil of choice and just broil it (you'll have to flip it, of course).

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Top of Georgia
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    If you use flour tortilla you can use water to close off the roll. I think you can doe the same with corn, but never tried it. I also do the stacking fryer baskets. If you have to much filling coming out use frill picks to help seal and support the seams.
    Thanks. I want to use up some store bought whole wheat tortillas we have for some reason. They are not very big so stacking the fryer baskets did not work. I don't have the time to fiddle trussing them. I'll try the toothpick trick tomorrow. I'm not too keen on pan frying but if I can't pull these off in the fryer I'll try something on the flat top.

    Thanks again.

    -AJ

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •