About Korin and the Gohan Society

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
We at Korin are proud of our Japanese culture and traditions, but we want you to know that our products are not just for Japanese restaurants. Our knives and tableware bring out the best qualities of food from every culture and fit into every restaurant - from French to Pan-Asian to American, and that is why we are located in New York City - where people from every country in the world come to eat!

Korin's unique store in lower Manhattan is home to perhaps the most extensive collection of Japanese chef knives in the world - including Japan - plus the rarest natural sharpening stones and exquisitely designed tableware. We also host special events, such as knife sharpening demonstrations and parties with New York's most famous chefs and restaurateurs.

Korin is dedicated to bringing the implicit and elegance of Japanese culture to your table - be it in your home or in the finest restaurant.

P1040080.jpg

And now that I’m done being professional, I’m going to fill you in on how I see Korin...

Korin is in essence, just a really well-known Ma and Pa kitchen supply store in downtown Manhattan. We are a small company of 30 people, and a two sister branches in Japan and France run by family members. Ms. Kawano moved from Japan in 1978 and began Korin in 1982 in hopes to bring Japanese culture to New York. She walked restaurant to restaurant with tableware hanging from my stroller in hopes to one day have a small storefront of her own.

30 years later, Korin has blossomed into the internationally known company thanks to all of the wonderful support from chefs, food lovers, restaurants, knife fans, and vendors. We are so blessed and grateful to have such amazing supporters and customers that go out of their way to visit us. Ms. Kawano continues to pursue her dreams to become the international bridge that connects the world to Japan through Korin and non-profit organizations.

6921661741_ae89d4f17d_z.jpg
*Photograph taken from: http://www.foodinjars.com/2012/02/a-visit-to-korin-giveaway/ *

Korin is affiliated with the Gohan Society, which is a non-profit organization that aspires to foster an understanding and appreciation of Japan’s culinary heritage. Ms. Kawano founded the organization in hopes is to provide an opportunity for professionals, students, culinary educators, sommeliers and journalist to explore and share the uniqueness of their respective cuisine through international travel, work and play. The Gohan Society members believe that by inspiring food lovers alike through educational initiatives, they will expand and enrich their repertoires, artistry and cultural understanding.

Pictures from the High School Summer Immersion Workshop in 2010 & 2008 and High School Event
6898779508_12c49af39c_b.jpg7046024021_86e77e5a09_z-suzuki-med-640x410.jpgWashoku101 2010-1.jpgWashoku101 2010-2.jpgWashoku101 2010-3.jpgWashoku101 2010-4.jpg
For more pictures:
http://www.flickr.com//photos/68766473@N04/sets/72157629730357266/show/

saori-san.jpg
“It is my hope and belief that through a dynamic and professional culinary exchange program, the Gohan Society will foster cooperation, learning and a spirit of friendship between nations and cultures.” - Saori Kawano

Attachments

• 6836403060_0acc716daa_b.jpg
    6836403060_0acc716daa_b.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 6899815178_dfb5331f12_z-group-640x410.jpg
    6899815178_dfb5331f12_z-group-640x410.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 700
  • An afternoon of Ishikawa Cuisine1.jpg
    An afternoon of Ishikawa Cuisine1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 152
  • An afternoon of Ishikawa Cuisine2.jpg
    An afternoon of Ishikawa Cuisine2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 146
  • An afternoon of Ishikawa Cuisine3.jpg
    An afternoon of Ishikawa Cuisine3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Ikijime 2.jpg
    Ikijime 2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Ikijime.jpg
    Ikijime.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Japanese Knive1.jpg
    Japanese Knive1.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Japanese Knives2.jpg
    Japanese Knives2.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Japanese Knives3.jpg
    Japanese Knives3.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Kindai Tuna.jpg
    Kindai Tuna.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Kindai Tuna2.jpg
    Kindai Tuna2.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Washoku101-2.jpg
    Washoku101-2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Washoku101.jpg
    Washoku101.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 105
Great photos and story. I'm very glad to see Korin here.

Dave

Thanks for sharing, keep the good stuff coming!

Great photos and story. I'm very glad to see Korin here.

Dave

Thanks! :D It's so much fun being on KKF. I'm slowly learning more and more about knives.

By the way, you wouldn't by any chance have a tattoo of a lovely silhouette of a duck that says Duck Fat in cursive would you?

I'm in one of those pics.... :doublethumbsup:

Met a bunch of great people & learned a ton of stuff at those classes.
Hopefully, I'll be able to attend again when I get back.

Oh my goodness! Really? :D Thats awesome!! Which class did you attend? I hope to see you there when you do!

Very cool, wish I was closer to Ny, almost every day.

Wonderful photos and inspirational philosophy.

Thank you

Oh my goodness! Really? :D Thats awesome!! Which class did you attend? I hope to see you there when you do!

The "Mastering Fish the Japanese Way" series; soba, tofu and a few others Mari-san. I am indebted to you Mom & Taeko-san and to Suzuki-san and the other Chefs for their gracious invitations and hard work!

Thanks! :D It's so much fun being on KKF. I'm slowly learning more and more about knives.

By the way, you wouldn't by any chance have a tattoo of a lovely silhouette of a duck that says Duck Fat in cursive would you?

I'm afraid my only tatoo is a Screaming Eagle but I like the idea. ;)
BTW I'm enjoying the Kitayama I picked up from Korin earlier this year.

Dave

Back