Quantcast
The "what would you buy" game...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "what would you buy" game...

The "what would you buy" game...

Haven't checked in in quite a while. This is mostly due to my Masamoto KS 240 basically eliminating my desire for anything better. And partly due to having a baby...

Well, the new knife bug has bitten so I just gotta give in. I should preface this by mentioning that no, I don't need a new knife, so there's no need for anyone to point that out. I'm a knife guy first and a cook second so this is merely scratching the new knife itch.

Current setup:

150 AS petty, 165 white II nakiri, 210 clad white II gyuto, 240 mono steel white II gyuto, plus some globals and henkels my wife uses. (she's scared of my knives).

Full complement of stones from 220 to 8000, plus leather chromium strop for touch ups. Able to keep all my knives falling through free hanging phone book pages from the top sharp.

Budget: prefer to keep it under $400

I'd really like to learn single bevels (yeah I know they are tricky to use and sharpen but remember, I don't need this knife, this is just for fun so no need to warn me away from them) and I don't have a slicer so I was thinking yanagiba would be a good way to go. Aside from that I was mostly thinking 270 gyuto, suji or kiritsuke gyuto. Prefer a flatter (less belly) profile in gyuto's. Gotta be wa handled and carbon as well.

My current contenders:

Monzaburo 300mm blue II yanagiba
    Yoshihiro 300mm yanagiba
    Gesshin Hide 270mm yanagiba (bit over budget)
    Mizuno hontanren 270 gyuto
    Yoshikane v2 Tomamoku gyuto (out of stock at aframes)
    Konosuke Fujiyama 270 kiritsuke gyuto

So, what would you buy? and by all means, you don't have to stick to my list, I also want to know what I'm not thinking of. Thanks!!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I am of no help here at all. But I am curious about what will be mentioned and what you will get.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Take the single bevel, you'll be very impressed and pleased. It's something new to learn, a fun challenge. I vote for the Gesshin Hide Yanagiba, I want one too -it looks bad 2 the bone!
    No matter how high the throne,
    there sits but an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    Take the single bevel, you'll be very impressed and pleased. It's something new to learn, a fun challenge. I vote for the Gesshin Hide Yanagiba, I want one too -it looks bad 2 the bone!
    +1
    Or a custom Rodrigue sujihiki

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    Or a custom Rodrigue sujihiki
    Within budget?

I vote Gesshin hide yanagiba, but go with 300mm, I feel 270 is a bit short for proper slicing. Suisin makes a good knife as well, and would be under your budget.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    Suisin makes a good knife as well, and would be under your budget.
    +1 Great knives
    No matter how high the throne,
    there sits but an ass.

Hide knives are awesome. If budget allows, get hide yanagi.

And takeshi also has yoshikane tamomoku v2 gyuto here. Newer batch with slimmer spine towards the heel. He's got one in vg10 and one in white #2 too.

+1 on the single bevel and 270+ mm. As for customs, I think most makers will make a smaller knife for you for $400. A couple might even make a 240 gyuto for that much. I think Mike Davis and Rottman would be right around that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Maluaka View Post
    Within budget?
    Pm sent.

+ Reply to Thread