The "what would you buy" game...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maluaka

Reaction score
Haven't checked in in quite a while. This is mostly due to my Masamoto KS 240 basically eliminating my desire for anything better. And partly due to having a baby...

Well, the new knife bug has bitten so I just gotta give in. I should preface this by mentioning that no, I don't need a new knife, so there's no need for anyone to point that out. I'm a knife guy first and a cook second so this is merely scratching the new knife itch.

Current setup:

150 AS petty, 165 white II nakiri, 210 clad white II gyuto, 240 mono steel white II gyuto, plus some globals and henkels my wife uses. (she's scared of my knives).

Full complement of stones from 220 to 8000, plus leather chromium strop for touch ups. Able to keep all my knives falling through free hanging phone book pages from the top sharp.

Budget: prefer to keep it under $400

I'd really like to learn single bevels (yeah I know they are tricky to use and sharpen but remember, I don't need this knife, this is just for fun so no need to warn me away from them) and I don't have a slicer so I was thinking yanagiba would be a good way to go. Aside from that I was mostly thinking 270 gyuto, suji or kiritsuke gyuto. Prefer a flatter (less belly) profile in gyuto's. Gotta be wa handled and carbon as well.

My current contenders:

Monzaburo 300mm blue II yanagiba
Yoshihiro 300mm yanagiba
Gesshin Hide 270mm yanagiba (bit over budget)
Mizuno hontanren 270 gyuto
Yoshikane v2 Tomamoku gyuto (out of stock at aframes)
Konosuke Fujiyama 270 kiritsuke gyuto

So, what would you buy? and by all means, you don't have to stick to my list, I also want to know what I'm not thinking of. Thanks!! :thumbsup:

I am of no help here at all. But I am curious about what will be mentioned and what you will get.:popcorn:

Take the single bevel, you'll be very impressed and pleased. It's something new to learn, a fun challenge. I vote for the Gesshin Hide Yanagiba, I want one too -it looks bad 2 the bone!

Take the single bevel, you'll be very impressed and pleased. It's something new to learn, a fun challenge. I vote for the Gesshin Hide Yanagiba, I want one too -it looks bad 2 the bone!
+1
Or a custom Rodrigue sujihiki

I vote Gesshin hide yanagiba, but go with 300mm, I feel 270 is a bit short for proper slicing. Suisin makes a good knife as well, and would be under your budget.

Hide knives are awesome. If budget allows, get hide yanagi.

And takeshi also has yoshikane tamomoku v2 gyuto here. Newer batch with slimmer spine towards the heel. He's got one in vg10 and one in white #2 too.

+1 on the single bevel and 270+ mm. As for customs, I think most makers will make a smaller knife for you for $400. A couple might even make a 240 gyuto for that much. I think Mike Davis and Rottman would be right around that much.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm lovin it! Fantasy shopping is always a good time.

Definitely leaning strongly towards a yanagiba. Anybody have an opinion on the Monzaburo?

Gesshin Hide is leading the pack as far as the one I "want" the most but its just a bit spendy.

The old 270 vs 300 debate. I am a home cook and living 1000kms from the nearest ocean it will see more chicken and beef than fish. It seems like a lot of $ for 3cm. Many seem to think its worth it so there must be a reason.

I did see those new yoshikanes but they seem taller with more belly. Plus I'm not a big burnt chestnut fan. Still tempted by them though.

Keep em coming! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the replies, I'm lovin it! Fantasy shopping is always a good time.

Definitely leaning strongly towards a yanagiba. Anybody have an opinion on the Monzaburo?

Gesshin Hide is leading the pack as far as the one I "want" the most but its just a bit spendy.

The old 270 vs 300 debate. I am a home cook and living 1000kms from the nearest ocean it will see more chicken and beef than fish. It seems like a lot of $ for 3cm. Many seem to think its worth it so there must be a reason.

I did see those new yoshikanes but they seem taller with more belly. Plus I'm not a big burnt chestnut fan. Still tempted by them though.

Keep em coming! :thumbsup:

Call Jon at JKI. Really nice guy and helpful.

My vote would be for the 270 Kiritsuke gyuto. It doubles as your slicer, and in most respect a damn decent all around knife. I have a 240 Moritaka, and I prefer to use it more than the gyuto for most tasks. This is not to be confused with a regular single beveled kiritsuke, where you really have to know how to use single beveled Japanese knives to be able to use the even remotely proficiently.

How about a Watanabe yanagiba, they're more or less in your budget?

I have two knives you may be interested in. One is a brand new unused suisin ginsanko 300mm yanagi. The other is a used but in great shape 240 takeda kiritsuke/gyuto. It is kiritsuke shaped and profiled, but is a double bevelled knife.

Both could ship from Toronto.

Not really seeing any suji's that turn my crank. Fujiyama's not bad I guess.

My top two at the moment are the Monzaburo 300 yanagiba and the Gesshin Hide 270 or 300 yanagiba. Just trying to convince myself that the Hide is worth it over the Monzaburo.

Slowtyper, thanks for the offer but the takeda is a bit short and the suisin is not "carbony" enough for my tastes :wink:

Get Hide yanagi. I have a Hide kensaki yanagi and loving it. 270 should be enough for home anyway, so not too pricey. Grind on hide is really really well done, and blue #1 takes very sharp edge and holds it for a length of time.

Jon is phasing out his Mozaburo stock too, IIRC.

Monzaburo makes a quality knife for the price. I have a Ginsanko Kiritsuke, that is very good. As some others have said Email or call Jon at JKI he'll help you find something amazing to fit your needs and budget, the customer service and care from Jon is the best

im not one to tell someone not to buy a knife but i would reconsider if only for a minute. i know you said you dont need to point it out but i think if i do think about this it will help you decide what will be best for you.

do you plan on using this knife a lot or more as a showpiece?

if you are going to use it, remember that a yanagi is NOT an all purpose slicer. they are a lot more delicate than most people think. i use mine only for slicing fish that have been cleaned. if you are going to drop some serious cash on a knife, just make sure that you are going to have the means to use it as its intended.

for the kiritsuke and usuba, it will take some time to learn to use these correctly. they are great knives but just not as versatile as a gyuto in my opinion.

a deba might be something to look at as well as i believe it to be a little more versatile than just fabricating fish (i use it for chicken as well against a certain vendors advice :D) and is a fun knife to use.

bottom line, im not telling you not to purchase a new knife, i dont think i could ever tell anyone that lol. i think that making sure you are going to use this knife will make you understand more what your actual needs are. ive bought knives i dont use and have had to find ways to use them and ive also bought knives that i didn't think i would use much and have become some everyday users.

take my opinion for what its worth. i hope you pick the right knife for you!!

Back