Chazmtb's knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazmtb

Banned
Reaction score
Hey All,
Well, it's about time. Since all my knives are now reunited, it is a good as any time to post the pictures. There have been many that have come through my possession, but I think this is about the main core and will probably remain the same for a long time.

First are the twins, courtesy of two masters. 300MM Shigeusa kitaeji yanagiba, wide blade, and 240 Shigefusa kitaeji gyuto. Handles and Saya, of course comes from Marko.

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

330mm Kintaru Ame Blue Steel Watanabe Yanagiba, with a horn and koa handle from the Handle Meister Stefan.

IMG_0070.jpg

All gorgeous, wow. I'm wiping the drool off of my keyboard.

Ichimonji Mitsuhide 270mm TKC gyuto, reground choi and FH forum knife contour ironwood handle by Adam Marr.

IMG_0074.jpg

Moritaka 240 Western Kiritsuke reprofiled and rehandled by Mike Henry.

IMG_0082.jpg

The ironwood burl on the shigefusa gyuto is great.

More to come. Gotta go to dinner for wife's birthday.

One of my favorite knife. I got it from Aframestokyo. It was a new old stock that came from the same store as some of his Shigefusas. The reason for the old stock was this knife has a low spot grind in the middle of the blade. I have tried to sharpen it out and getting there slowly. It really does not effect the performance of the knife. The steel is of unknown origin, but I think it is better than a white II yanagiba that I used to have. IT takes a wickedly acute bevel without rolling over or having a wire edge. Also, a very thin blade. 300mm Kitaeji yanagiba of unknown origin, and handle by me.

IMG_0083.jpg

Some others in the lineup.
JCK Carbonext 300 Suji
Hiromoto 210 Suji
JCK Kayagaki 150 Honsuke
Nenox G-type 150 petty
Tojiro ITK 270 bread knife

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

And a recent acquisition that came in today. A William Beatty and Sons 7" cleaver, I believe it is a "0" size. Surprisingly good condition

IMG_0081.jpg

Nice collection, Bao. You should show the right side of the TKC. It was a pleasure to check it out and use it a bit. :)

Crothcipt

The collection was much bigger at one point, but I have paired it down to must haves.

Thanks Tinh,

I got the other set today, but haven't had a chance to open it yet. Yes, the other side of the TKC was the shiny side, but the maker's mark was on the left side.

The collection was much bigger at one point, but I have paired it down to must haves.

I like your definition of "must haves" Bao. :)

If I could steal just one from you, it would have to be the Shigefusa gyuto.

Fantastic collection.

330mm Kintaru Ame Blue Steel Watanabe Yanagiba, with a horn and koa handle from the Handle Meister Stefan.

Man, I was holding up a train...

Glad you finally posted your stash. I remember that 300mm yanagiba from aframestokyo.

M

Very nice set. I see one or two i would like to have also :D

Nice collection, Bao, glad to see that he Watanabe with my handle made your cut :) I also admire your courage to narrow it down to the essentials, I should do that also... And your knives really make me think that everybody needs a Shigefusa gyuto with a handle from Marko...

Stefan

Marko and Stefan,
Your additions were worth the wait. Having those knives is something very special to me. Those knives were forged and sharpened by the master artisans and their family members. Not the Sakai model of knife making, but the complete blade being done in house. It is only fitting that master artisans complete them. They are truely treasures.

Just got around to seeing this. Really nice stuff. Thanks for showing

There are two things that I want now. One would be a standard Marko 240 in carbon and D handle (I was able to be able to test one), and the other would be a Yoshikane Kurouchi Damascus 240 double bevel kiritsuke gyuto. It is a beautiful knife, and it functions kind of like the Moritaka that I have. I really like the Moritaka for cutting vegetables because of the way that the knife is straigt flat grounded, kinda like a single bevel, releases the sliced vegetables (like potatoes, tomatoes and other similar items) very well. I would imagine it is very similar to the Heiji that people rave so much about.

Those are all nice, but that Henry Moritaka is outrageous. I really don't see you upgrading from there. Just kidding I can't believe you put that ugly ducking in with such beauty. They are fun knives huh?

Mike, you never know. I don't know if I need to change for cutting performance. I really like the AS steel and what you have done. The Yoshikane is just for pure looks.

I was kicking myself that I could not get Pecos knife when I had a chance.

I need to get a handle on it, but you are welcome to use it for awhile if you want. I should be able to re-handle it in a week or two

Back