Media Julie Child on knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
The French Chef program begin in 1963-1973
this her on carbon knives.
[video=youtube_share;ov-bABZHXM8]http://youtu.be/ov-bABZHXM8[/video]

I love these old shows. And she said it all 50 years ago...

Stefan

one of the great joys of my life was cooking dinner for her and Jacque Pepin very early in my career. They were two of the most gracious people I have ever met. love Julia

My parents grew up with Julia Child around and made many of her dishes. They even have an autographed cookbook from her. She was very nice to them. I watched her shows growing up. Very nice post. Once my parents made the Grand Marnier Souffle. It was a lot of work and my grandma stopped by uninvited tasted it said it was perfumy and continued to eat it until it was all gone. It hadn't been offered and my parents worked very hard on it.

Thanks for posting. I think her approach to knives was way beyond most folk's back in her day.

I heard all of this near verbatim when I was a kid from my Dad and Mom. She was great.

I wonder how many women were put off of sharp knives by the way that she was warning about various techniques- "don't do this or you will cut you're hand off", or "don't do this or you will cut you're hand down to the bone", or "don't do that or you will cut you're hand in half"!

I wonder how many women were put off of sharp knives by the way that she was warning about various techniques- "don't do this or you will cut you're hand off", or "don't do this or you will cut you're hand down to the bone", or "don't do that or you will cut you're hand in half"!

Probably no more than there were men put off sharp knives. It was balanced by the bazillion times we heard that you're more likely to cut yourself with a dull knife than a sharp one.

The above video has been taken down on you tube a real shame i will try to find it some where else
I am 75% sure that it was from the french chef/ french onion soup/ volume 5/ EP 1
IF any one has the set you can confirm that .
or you can buy episodes from I Tunes or Amazon for $2.

YA i know should of copy it when i had the chance .

I'll look on the dvds, though I only have the first volume.

A new member pointed it out and ask which episode was the knife talk on
and i think it is the french onion soup episode .

still missing one of her collections... need to figure out what one LOL

Will watch the onion soup one asap :p

Yes it is the french onion soup episode she talks of carbon knives.
Kz3VA.jpg
[/IMG]
so yes you can just buy that show online.

[video=youtube;dw0Ij1Fxgq4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw0Ij1Fxgq4[/video]

Surprised, she has some knife skills, love this video.

I think this should be required material for kids in highschool

Kind of sad that I don't think we'd see her if she were on Food network today. She has no sex appeal and that's part and parcel of what FN sells today.

-AJ

So, dumb question, but how would she have had her knives sharpened back in the day? She seems to have a pretty keen edge and I'm sure her knives got plenty of use.

Found this clip from a letter Julia Child wrote. (It's in a book "Letters from Julia". She was younger when she wrote it, so not sure how she had things done later in life.)

"As to knife sharpening, I am no expert. My husband, who is a one-man art factory, goes over them once in a while with a soap stone (carborundum with oil); and I keep an edge on them with a big steel fusil. I have once this year taken them all to a professional, who did a beautiful job, but I did feel he took off quite a bit of steel. However, I don't expect them to last a life time, I just want them to cut well. I don't know anything about hones. The next time I have the "man" sharpen them, I will hover over him, and report what he does. I think he has a mechanical wheel, and also a hand stone. Would be interested to hear how you like the Emmons Rifle, and what it is."

Oh, and as far as sex appeal goes...

Postcard.jpg

Lucretia , I like your style ! Happy Easter.

Back