Quantcast
225 Gyuto W2 with hamon for sale - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 225 Gyuto W2 with hamon for sale

And?

Eamon has been working on the saya for it. It's done now, and he is shipping it, but I have not laid hands on it yet.....

I like this knife a lot. The fit and finish are very nice. The profile is spot on, and it cuts really well. It took to the suehira rika 5000 stone nicely, leaving a sharp edge with some bite...... starting the pass around now. It shipped to Pensacola today. Would the guys in this pass around please PM me your address. Thanks. Matt

Great to read that it's living up to your expectations. Am I in on this one? I can't remember if Canadians were ok'd or not....
    Either way, it's still a freakin' beautiful knife!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Yes, you're in, although your last, I think. Just means you can keep it longer

Yes!!!
    That freakin' knife is freakin' haunting me (and I'm sure many others)! I really wish I jumped on it, so I'm glad I'll at least get a chance with it.
    09/06

Here are some of my impressions after using this knife for several days. The day I got it, I used it to make chicken ponzu, as posted in this thread:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...l=1#post128986

Mike has done his homework with this knife - the grind is very good. It went through the celery, bell peppers and carrots as well as any knife I've used lately, including a Kochi, a Rodrigue and a Shigefusa. Here's a pic:

The knife had formed a light patina when I got it, and I didn't note any reactivity issues with the W2 it is made from. I didn't feel I should alter the edge, so I just stropped it on a Gesshin 6k, which was sufficient.

In daily use the edge held up well. Of course, I wan't going through cases of vegetables, just doing normal home prep work. No noticeable wedging in potatoes, carrots or onions. I used it to split a watermelon, and other than the fact that it could have been a few inches longer, it did just fine.

I did get out in the sunlight to take some pics of the handle.

To sum up my feelings, shared by a few others on this thread, this was the "one that got away". Nice work, Mike!

Thanks again to Bulldogbacchus for doing this passaround.

Rick,

You're not helping my "non-buyer's remorse". I REALLY wish I pulled the trigger on this one. Sheesh!

Your Friend,
    Lefty
    09/06

I was lucky enough to use the knife over the last week before sending it off yesterday. Initial impressions besides holy cr@p, that's a good looking knife, was that maybe the handle was a bit large for my tastes. Though after using it to cut up everything from potatoes to onions to basil, I can tell you I didn't even notice it. The knife arrived sharp, and with moderate use, I felt no need to touch it up before sending it on it's way. It was a sad day when I finally had to package it up and say goodbye. Great work on this one Mike, and you are a lucky SOB Bulldogbacchus! Thanks for the opportunity to play with your new toy, will definitely be something I'll be adding to my collection someday.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I received this beauty today in great condition. am looking forward to giving this a great workout.
    Chewie's the man.

+ Reply to Thread