Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 225 Gyuto W2 with hamon for sale

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    This one started life a year ago as a 240. I have been sitting on it for a while, and have since learned about better profiles. This one was pretty flat, so i reshaped it and decided to finish it up. It is 225 on the edge, 242 from the bolster/ferrule. It is pretty thin, sitting at 2.16 coming out of the handle. it stays at 2mm until half way to the tip then has a distal taper to a fine tip. Handle is some of Mark's special koa with golden ironwood ferrule and buttcap, hippo ivory and black spacers.
    I had just bought a Mizuno Tanrenjo 270mm just before this showed up. I love the grind on the Mizuno, it is a new way for me to look at knives. When I received this knife it has a similar grind that I was very happy to see, very similar, and perfect for the blade. I have not needed to give it a sharpening with 2 weeks of use, in restaurant and home. Will take some pics just before I get it off tomorrow to Johnychai.

The workmanship on this knife is such beauty that one can just sit and look for hours. Had my boss comment on the handle and how the pattern moves in the light. Another person liked the ivory. Next time I let my boss use it to slice tomatoes he was checking out the "colors in the steel". The patina looks great when you get looking below the surface, which just took on a haze effect. I will try to get some pics of this (attempt is the more suitable word) before I send it off.

The saya that Bulldog got for the knife fits with everything else about the blade. From the handle it matches the colors in the Iron wood and the Koa. The fit on the blade is very nice, not to tight to mar the steel, but tight enough there is no need for the pin. From what I have seen of your work Mike 400$ was a steal for this knife. Bulldog Ty very much for allowing me to try this knife out, if I hadn't bought a Mizuno a few weeks before this knife would have been a new game changer for me.

Ill post pics later.
    Chewie's the man.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    lol cclin this knife is already bought by Bulldogbacchus and is in a passaroud atm.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    lol cclin this knife is already bought by Bulldogbacchus and is in a passaroud atm.
    just realize that....sorry

I'm last, and I fully plan on switching it out for a piece of tin with a branch jammed on the back and sharpee marker for a ferrule and butt cap....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I'm last, and I fully plan on switching it out for a piece of tin with a branch jammed on the back and sharpee marker for a ferrule and butt cap....
    Hmmmm...... Something about sending a pass around to a guy that sells knives......

LOL!!!! Glad you guys are liking this knife, i had a hard time selling it...i originally made it for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    LOL!!!! Glad you guys are liking this knife, i had a hard time selling it...i originally made it for me...
    Looks like my knife with a different handle.
    I use mine more than all my other knives combined.
    Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Great news for me, the knife arrived (with a huge duty, but oh well...)...anyways. It is every bit as impressive off the bat as I had expected. The handle is incredible, and the grind looks right. I won't be able to give it a workout until Saturday, or more likely, Monday, because of work, but at least it's here and safe.

Matt, I'll be sure to package this knife up and get it right back to you. Did I mention how thin it is? Nice! Here are some pics of your knife, that you so lovingly let us try out. Thanks again!

Yup, this one will get back to you right after I've had a good run with it.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter