225 Gyuto W2 with hamon for sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
This one started life a year ago as a 240. I have been sitting on it for a while, and have since learned about better profiles. This one was pretty flat, so i reshaped it and decided to finish it up. It is 225 on the edge, 242 from the bolster/ferrule. It is pretty thin, sitting at 2.16 coming out of the handle. it stays at 2mm until half way to the tip then has a distal taper to a fine tip. Handle is some of Mark's special koa with golden ironwood ferrule and buttcap, hippo ivory and black spacers.
Specs
Steel: W2 at roughly 62rc, differentially hardened with polished hamon.
Blade length: 225mm on edge
Blade width: 2.16mm
Blade height: 45.5mm at heel
Handle:
Length:142mm total
Height 23mm at ferrule/25mm at buttcap
Width: 19mm at ferrule/ 24mm at buttcap.

Price: $400
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MqAai5j-Fk&feature=plcp Sorry, my cell phone video's kinda sucks...
P1030894.jpg

P1030888.jpg

P1030891.jpg

P1030884.jpg

P1030883.jpg

The handle is not glued onto the blade right now, in case someone wants any modifications to the handle, that is why there are fingerprints/smudges on the blade. It will come all nice and shiny...also thinking of a few more etch cycles to make the hamon pop a bit better. Any questions, please ask :)

Mike

I was just looking for the 'like' button, gotta go back to bed for a little while longer until I can think straight...Looks like a great combo!

Stefan

Nice-looking knife! Profile and hamon are very nice on this one. :thumbsup:

Congrats Mike on the work.

A charmer for sure.

Hot damn! That's a real stunner!!!

Sorry, this deserves two posts. That handle is one of my favourites I've seen in a long long time!

Thanks Tom!!! The handle has been mildly modified so it is now 21/25 in height and is in glue up right now, I will get nice pics up later tonight :)

Beautiful knife, beautiful price! Very nice hamon and the handle matched perfectly. Liked the handle even though i have a bit of a pickle with koa

Ok I am loving it. Price is right, just not right now. Someone will be a very lucky owner.

Lovely Mike, and that Hamon is peachy.:biggrin:

I should commission you to make me a knife. Your work is amazing!

P1030907.jpgI had taken these pictures, but forgot to post them. It is all ready to go, I repolished it after glue up to get rid of all the fingerprints and what not. Also gave the handle another hand buff with some paste wax.
I am dropping the price on this one to $375 shipped.

If this one is not gone by sunday, I will find funds to buy this!

I just love this knife. From what I can see on pics, this one got an awesome profile. The handle speaks for its self and the hamon line is beautiful.
Based on the profile I would imagine that this is really a good preformer. I love everything about this knife.

I have also browsed the wed Mike. Your website should have more info about you and as a maker. However I think you are really on to something with this one. Again really nice profile and handle. I don't know about the geometry, but still this one looks like a preformer. However I don't see the makers mark on the blade?

Everything about this knife is stunning the hamon the handle. The price is too low for what it is. Wish my funds weren't tied up. Someone will be very lucky. Please stop lowering the price. It's already a give away price.

HAHAHA!! This one is SPF, Thanks Bulldogbacchus!!! As far as the makers mark, It is there, just hard to see in the pics as i took the pics outside. I really wanted to keep this one lol, i really like it.

Be sure to write up a review on this knife. Mike's stuff has been on my radar and I'd like to know how the knife performs. It looks awesome and congrats on the purchase!

Congrats. I really liked this knife, and knowing I only buy high end it should say something about this one :)
A review is a must :)

I feel lucky to get this one. I will take some pics and let you know how she cuts....

Time has come.
Should be in your hands now. I also see you got something coming from WillC as well.
Are you one of those 1% ?

Back