Quantcast
Behold! The Masamoto & Korin Collaboration: The Kizuna
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Behold! The Masamoto & Korin Collaboration: The Kizuna

Sponsors

Behold! The Masamoto & Korin Collaboration: The Kizuna

“The blade, saya, handle - All was crafted under Mr. Sugai and Mr. Mizuyama’s instructions, crafted specially for Korin for our Masamoto company’s first special collaboration.” - Masamoto Company

This new knife came in last December, and we never really showed it off half as much as we should have. It is gorgeous and my favorite knife to just admire, so I decided that it was going to be my first knife post on this forum. I really believe that simple is best, and I think the Kizuna series is a beautiful explain of this saying.

Forging the Bond
    We are honored and excited to announce Masamoto’s first ever knife collaboration with Korin. These knives are expertly forged and crafted by the very best blacksmiths and edge crafters in Japan and are 100% hand-made.

The Blade

Forged from Shiro-ichi, the purest form of carbon and one of the most difficult types of steel to work with. The shiro-ichi steel is very close to a tamahagane steel, which is a precious metal used for forging traditional samurai sword. The resulting blade has superior edge and a fluid cutting feel. To ensure perfection, each blade is hand inspected, checked and sharpened by Japan’s number one Grand Master Sharpener, Shozo Mizuyama.

The Handle
    The magnolia, octagonal handle is fitted with water buffalo horn on the bolster and butt cap to ensure a comfortable feel in the hand. The two dark wooden bands are crafted from Bubinga wood, the thickest tree in the world and an African hardwood. Bubinga is regarded as a wood imbued with spirituality, and the tree that gives birth to the gods.

The Cover
    The Japanese characters, written on the saya cover “Rensei kouha mikakusho,” allude to the knife having not only superior edge to create beautiful cuisine, but also a blade that will enhance the flavor of the food on the plate.
    Translation “To forge the blade from it’s liquid steel state, hammer out the impurities to produce a blade that creates a beautiful presentation and makes the ingredients taste better.”

The meaning behind the name "Kizuna"
    The red kanji stamp on the blade of the knife, kizuna, is the Japanese word for ‘bond’ or ‘connection’. The Kizuna represents the bond between the knife craftsmen and the chefs who use these knives, as well as the Masamoto company, Mr. Mizuyama and Korin. The goal of the craftsmen who make these knives is to truly forge a bond between themselves and the chefs who use these knives. We hope that you feel this kizuna when you use these very special knives from Masamoto.

Nice. Is the Bubinga stabilized? I'm very curious to see some reviews of these knives.

Very nice, I kind of want one.
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

Unparalleled Beauty

Sponsors
    I'm really curious too. I've only ever sold one of these beauties, but last I heard the chef didn't use it yet... I suspect he's still admiring it. LOL
    I will let you know though! Maybe I can get some testimonials. I'll see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post
    I'm really curious too. I've only ever sold one of these beauties, but last I heard the chef didn't use it yet... I suspect he's still admiring it. LOL
    I will let you know though! Maybe I can get some testimonials. I'll see what I can do.
    What about price? And a bit more info on the steel.

You can always to a pass-around too

Visually the package seems a little too busy for my preferences - but I'm sure the blade itself is top-notch. Would love to hear more about the steel and user experiences
    Len

Awesome! I think that collaborations like this one often yield some great results and evolution of design. What styles / sizes of knives will be in this range?

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Visually the package seems a little too busy for my preferences - but I'm sure the blade itself is top-notch. Would love to hear more about the steel and user experiences
    Yea, I hear you. I thought the cover was too busy too, but after you see it every day it kind of grows on you. I wish they chose to put the stamp on the blade OR the top of the handle, but you know to each his own.

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Awesome! I think that collaborations like this one often yield some great results and evolution of design. What styles / sizes of knives will be in this range?
    I'm glad you like it! Yea, they were working on this project for a very long time just trying to get it right.

There is currently only the yanagi style out, but they come in:
    7.6" (195mm) It's kind of like a yanagi petty knife.
    8.2" (210mm)
    10.5" (270mm)
    11.7" (300mm)

You can find a more detailed picture here:
    http://korin.com/Masamoto-Korin-hong...i-petty-kizuna