Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My new little toy (Shigefusa)

Dr. Naka also said here: http://hides-export.blogspot.com.au/...progress2.html that knives go to saya maker.
    And also implied here: http://hides-export.blogspot.com.au/...r-and-how.html that it happens after the knife is finish.

Somehow, shigefusa stamp on saya is not always the case. I've got one on a yanagi saya, but not on the other two usuba sayas.

Peco, how is the condition of your handle?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Peco, how is the condition of your handle?
    Would be good to know as it may have just been a historic thing that's been updated.

Quote Originally Posted by schanop View Post
    Dr. Naka also said here: http://hides-export.blogspot.com.au/...progress2.html that knives go to saya maker.
    And also implied here: http://hides-export.blogspot.com.au/...r-and-how.html that it happens after the knife is finish.

Somehow, shigefusa stamp on saya is not always the case. I've got one on a yanagi saya, but not on the other two usuba sayas.
    that´s true, i ordered Shigefusa from Dr Naka, and after the knife was done, the knife was sent away to Saya maker. and my petty saya dont have shigefusa stamp.

New Sayas will get burned Shigefusa Logo, But nor Sayas or Handles are made by Shigefusa. They get hand made by Handle and Saya maker in Sanjo, Niigata
    Just want to cear up some myths

You mean, like they dont halve murder-convicts to check the new blades?

I want a refund

Neat knife there Peco. shortie for me but looks good

Ah .. got it .. like this?

Pretty, burned shigefusa logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    These are nice knives but the western handle scales (and workmanship to shape them) is really bad - some of the worst I've seen. I see the maker as more of a blacksmith than woodworker.
    Isn't this the case quite often with Western handles on Japanese knives?

During my recent search for a high-end Japanese blade with a Western handle, I ended up in a store not too far away from me which had both a Shigefusa Suminagashi 240mm gyuto with traditional handle as well as a Yoshikane Suminagashi 180mm gyuto with Western handle in stock. I went there to see the Yoshikane, but I also had a look at the Shigefusa. The Shigefusa was ridiculously beautiful (huge though) - but still I prefer Western handles. The Yoshikane was a bit of a disappointment, I must say. As I've heard, only 20 of those have been made to date. The price is in the same range as Hattori KDs, but F&F are very disappointing: I would not have cared about that little bit of rust on the heel/back of the blade, but what really disappointed me was a little hole in the bolster as well as a carelessly made handle. I guess I could do this with a little bit of practice, and believe me, I am definitely no talent when it comes to woodworking! Besides, the Yoshikane was ridiculously heavy, the blade was about 5mm wide!

I find this very disappointing. I understand that traditional Japanese blacksmiths prefer to make knives with traditional handles. But as soon as they decide to make Western handles as well, I expect that the handle gets the same attention as the blade. Not only, but especially on a knife in the price range of that Yoshikane Suminagashi!

Quote Originally Posted by daddy yo yo View Post
    Isn't this the case quite often with Western handles on Japanese knives?

During my recent search for a high-end Japanese blade with a Western handle, I ended up in a store not too far away from me which had both a Shigefusa Suminagashi 240mm gyuto with traditional handle as well as a Yoshikane Suminagashi 180mm gyuto with Western handle in stock. I went there to see the Yoshikane, but I also had a look at the Shigefusa. The Shigefusa was ridiculously beautiful (huge though) - but still I prefer Western handles. The Yoshikane was a bit of a disappointment, I must say. As I've heard, only 20 of those have been made to date. The price is in the same range as Hattori KDs, but F&F are very disappointing: I would not have cared about that little bit of rust on the heel/back of the blade, but what really disappointed me was a little hole in the bolster as well as a carelessly made handle. I guess I could do this with a little bit of practice, and believe me, I am definitely no talent when it comes to woodworking! Besides, the Yoshikane was ridiculously heavy, the blade was about 5mm wide!

I find this very disappointing. I understand that traditional Japanese blacksmiths prefer to make knives with traditional handles. But as soon as they decide to make Western handles as well, I expect that the handle gets the same attention as the blade. Not only, but especially on a knife in the price range of that Yoshikane Suminagashi!
    im glad they dont spend same time and amount of attention on the handle as the blade, one of the reasons i by a knife is for the blade, it´s so easy to change handle and make your own fit and finish,

I agree for a certain price range of knives, up to US$ 200 or so. On such a knife I wouldn't expect that perfect F&F. However, when I spend US$ 1.000, I expect perfection, not only from the blade.

Anyway, I hope that the Western handelled Shigefusa features both, a fantastic blade and good F&F.
    Quote Originally Posted by DK chef View Post
    im glad they dont spend same time and amount of attention on the handle as the blade, one of the reasons i by a knife is for the blade, it´s so easy to change handle and make your own fit and finish,