Quantcast
My new little toy (Shigefusa) - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: My new little toy (Shigefusa)

1000 USD is not really much for a knife. You couldn't expect perfection for that

new shig owner here. got from bst. it needs a bit of thinning and my own edge as i was not impressed with the initial results on the board. profile is ok. people weren't kidding about the fit & finish, this thing is remarkably polished in every way. i hate d handles but even this one feels fine.

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    1000 USD is not really much for a knife. You couldn't expect perfection for that
    Now I really hope that smiley face at the end of the sentence was intended as irony..!

Quote Originally Posted by ChiliPepper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    Now I really hope that smiley face at the end of the sentence was intended as irony..!
    I think Øivind was serious. OF course, this is his "benchmark" knife, a custom by BIll Burke:

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    new shig owner here. got from bst. it needs a bit of thinning and my own edge as i was not impressed with the initial results on the board.
    I have a new Shig coming to me and your comment makes me nervous, are you saying it is a little thick above the edge? Is this typical of Shigs?
    ~Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
    I have a new Shig coming to me and your comment makes me nervous, are you saying it is a little thick above the edge? Is this typical of Shigs?
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Panda bought his used from the B/S/T forum here so it probably wasn't a fresh edge. Shig's cut real nice, trust me!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Panda bought his used from the B/S/T forum here so it probably wasn't a fresh edge. Shig's cut real nice, trust me!
    3rd hand I'm pretty sure
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Good to hear (for me). I'm looking forward to the Shig. Right now I have Ginga 210 and I love it, love the profile, the feel in hand, and cutting. But...I just tried a Tanaka blue from ebay, and while I didn't like the profile at all, or the handle, there was something about the grind and weight I really liked. For chopping strokes or tip work it just went through everything effortlessly. My Ginga just doesn't have the weight to do that, at least with anything other than fresh sharpening. The Tanaka wasn't especially thin behind the edge - at least compared to some other knives I've owned and measured, but it FELT thin while working with it. Anyway, I'm hoping the Shig is the best of both worlds.
    ~Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
    Good to hear (for me). I'm looking forward to the Shig. Right now I have Ginga 210 and I love it, love the profile, the feel in hand, and cutting. But...I just tried a Tanaka blue from ebay, and while I didn't like the profile at all, or the handle, there was something about the grind and weight I really liked. For chopping strokes or tip work it just went through everything effortlessly. My Ginga just doesn't have the weight to do that, at least with anything other than fresh sharpening. The Tanaka wasn't especially thin behind the edge - at least compared to some other knives I've owned and measured, but it FELT thin while working with it. Anyway, I'm hoping the Shig is the best of both worlds.
    The grind you are talking about is what still mystifies most knife makers when it comes to kitchen knives.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    The grind you are talking about is what still mystifies most knife makers when it comes to kitchen knives.
    Yeah I've come to find the most important thing in a knife is not the steel, heat treat, etc., but the grind. Which is very hard to quantify. I'd even bet that some of the best grinds don't even have a great explanation from the maker himself, he just knows what he does works and is desirable by people.
    ~Brandon

+ Reply to Thread