Quantcast
My new little toy (Shigefusa) - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 64

Thread: My new little toy (Shigefusa)

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    charlotte, nc
    Posts
    1,386
    I have Tanaka blue 210 and it's the thinnest knife I own behind the edge, I would definitely call it a laser!
    Shig appears to have a strong asymmetric grind with gradual convexity and stronger curve near the edge. Can't wait to tune this thing to my liking, bet it screams once its had work done.

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    I have Tanaka blue 210 and it's the thinnest knife I own behind the edge, I would definitely call it a laser!
    Shig appears to have a strong asymmetric grind with gradual convexity and stronger curve near the edge. Can't wait to tune this thing to my liking, bet it screams once its had work done.
    posting at work? *** and yeah that shig was nice! still kinda like *** with the plastic and cheap wood on a $400+ knife

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
    Good to hear (for me). I'm looking forward to the Shig. Right now I have Ginga 210 and I love it, love the profile, the feel in hand, and cutting. But...I just tried a Tanaka blue from ebay, and while I didn't like the profile at all, or the handle, there was something about the grind and weight I really liked. For chopping strokes or tip work it just went through everything effortlessly. My Ginga just doesn't have the weight to do that, at least with anything other than fresh sharpening. The Tanaka wasn't especially thin behind the edge - at least compared to some other knives I've owned and measured, but it FELT thin while working with it. Anyway, I'm hoping the Shig is the best of both worlds.
    Does anyone have some recommendations for what I posted above (in case the Shig doesn't fulfill what I'm looking for)? Basically a flatter profile, a good, thin grind that slices effortlessly, slightly more weight than a Ginga? I push cut, just learning to chop a bit, never rock chop.
    ~Brandon

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
    Does anyone have some recommendations for what I posted above (in case the Shig doesn't fulfill what I'm looking for)? Basically a flatter profile, a good, thin grind that slices effortlessly, slightly more weight than a Ginga? I push cut, just learning to chop a bit, never rock chop.
    I think your Shig is going to blow your mind. Likely very thin behind the edge and the grind will impress. You will love chopping with this thing.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    charlotte, nc
    Posts
    1,386
    The nose sits high and could have used more taper, I'm not sure I can get over that =/. Too bad this wasn't the 270

  6. #56
    Senior Member ChiliPepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    I think Øivind was serious. OF course, this is his "benchmark" knife, a custom by BIll Burke:

    Yeah, that would indeed put things into a different perspective, I guess...

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiliPepper View Post
    Yeah, that would indeed put things into a different perspective, I guess...
    God, that blade just makes me drool
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    charlotte, nc
    Posts
    1,386
    spent a good hour thinning and sharpening. wow carbon really is a joy to work on, felt wonderful on the stones. took off a ton of metal, but still could use another session, maybe even two!!


  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiliPepper View Post
    Yeah, that would indeed put things into a different perspective, I guess...
    This just lends credence to the saying, "different strokes for different folks".

  10. #60
    Senior Member ChiliPepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
    This just lends credence to the saying, "different strokes for different folks".
    Amen to that. :P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •