My new little toy (Shigefusa) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My new little toy (Shigefusa)

Nice knife, they're even nicer with a custom handle

Oh and this is a useful read:

http://darkhoek.blogspot.co.uk/2011/...40-kasumi.html

Rehandle that beast! .)

You can see one with patina in my 5/14 thread on damascus. Sharpens up easy and the spine is butter soft.

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    Rehandle that beast! .)
    NO WAY

I really wouldn't recommend putting a new handle on that one Peco.

As they create their western handles just like their Wa handles with plane blades and chisels the feel and fit lands in another dimension entirely. Like a diamond with facets shaved flat by the plane and rounded on the corners with a compass plane and probably finished with a slick or kuri-kogatana (it's only my guess about the slick and kuri-kogatana), just stunning!
    An inspirational handle for someone that works with the same kind of tools, mind sending me yours so I can take an ink imprint on it Peco?

To boil it all down into one sentence, the western handles on Shigefusa knives cost more for a reason!
    Can't wait until I get one of these for myself, time to switch to noodle diet for a month or two and collect as many aluminum cans I can find.

Shigefusa is not worth the price anyway, so rehandle it! .)

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    Shigefusa is not worth the price anyway, so rehandle it! .)
    Is that a bit of envy I detect?

I was of the impression that western handled shig's were renowned for having fit and finish issues with the scales. I remember a few threads about it on the old forum, and mine was far from perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    I was of the impression that western handled shig's were renowned for having fit and finish issues with the scales. I remember a few threads about it on the old forum, and mine was far from perfect.
    That can't be the majority of their western handles though? If not I don't see why they would be so sought after if the first thing one has to do is rehandle it, did you bring it up with your retailer? I wouldn't accept waiting and paying for a brand new Shigefusa only to find defects on it, that would outright suck quite badly.

Are they not integral bolsters? I thought that was why they are so expensive

+ Reply to Thread