My new little toy (Shigefusa)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peco

Banned
Reaction score
Can't wait to use this at work :D

Shigefusa_gyuto.jpg

That's a beauty! We'll expect a full report on our desks first thing in the morning.:rofl2:

Seriously though - tell us how you like it.

Beautiful knife. There's something different about Shigefusa's kanji that I love.

nice score Peco :D grats to the new knife, im sure you will like it a lot, you dont see western Shig everyday.

Beautiful... I never understood the price jump for a western shige versus a wa handled, until I saw yours. Now I understand, like everything Shigefusa it looks to be a piece of art, simple but flawless. Not at all flashy, but a solid workhorse that will stand the test of time.

There is something about western shigs that makes them just so damn beatiful.

Now get some patina on that polish! :)

Nice knife, they're even nicer with a custom handle :D

Shig%20240%20.jpg

Adam%20Marr%20handle.jpg

Oh and this is a useful read:

http://*****************.co.uk/2011/01/forcing-patina-on-shigefusa-240-kasumi.html

You can see one with patina in my 5/14 thread on damascus. Sharpens up easy and the spine is butter soft.

I really wouldn't recommend putting a new handle on that one Peco.

As they create their western handles just like their Wa handles with plane blades and chisels the feel and fit lands in another dimension entirely. Like a diamond with facets shaved flat by the plane and rounded on the corners with a compass plane and probably finished with a slick or kuri-kogatana (it's only my guess about the slick and kuri-kogatana), just stunning!
An inspirational handle for someone that works with the same kind of tools, mind sending me yours so I can take an ink imprint on it Peco? ;)

To boil it all down into one sentence, the western handles on Shigefusa knives cost more for a reason! :D
Can't wait until I get one of these for myself, time to switch to noodle diet for a month or two and collect as many aluminum cans I can find.

I was of the impression that western handled shig's were renowned for having fit and finish issues with the scales. I remember a few threads about it on the old forum, and mine was far from perfect.

I was of the impression that western handled shig's were renowned for having fit and finish issues with the scales. I remember a few threads about it on the old forum, and mine was far from perfect.

That can't be the majority of their western handles though? If not I don't see why they would be so sought after if the first thing one has to do is rehandle it, did you bring it up with your retailer? I wouldn't accept waiting and paying for a brand new Shigefusa only to find defects on it, that would outright suck quite badly.

Are they not integral bolsters? I thought that was why they are so expensive

That's what I thought also. I've seen a few posts about people re-handling them and complaining about the scales, like TB said.

These are nice knives but the western handle scales (and workmanship to shape them) is really bad - some of the worst I've seen. I see the maker as more of a blacksmith than woodworker. :)

These are nice knives but the western handle scales (and workmanship to shape them) is really bad - some of the worst I've seen. I see the maker as more of a blacksmith than woodworker. :)

You have some good-looking handles there Dave, I suppose you'll be receiving a Shig to rehandle soon. :)

I really feel that I have to defend Iizuka-san's woodworking skill in this case though. Shigefusa makes all their saya's themselves with plane blades and chisels and all their sheath-style saya's I've tried from them has been superb in my experience, well worth the additional cost.

Hmm i think you been misinformed for sure !!
Shigefusa do not make Sayas !!
And he surly dont use plane blades for his western handles

Max knows his .... about shigefusa :) Good to have you around LOL

Back