Contest - Drawing Sunday 5/20

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I received this from a customer/friend in Alaska.
It is a piece of fossil Walrus Ivory.
I have a bunch more pieces of this so I figured I could part with one of them.

To enter the contest, just make a post telling what you would do with this if you win.
I will use the random number generator on Sunday to see what post number wins the Ivory.

w001.jpg

I will use it as a very cool paperweight for a while, and eventually get it worked into something cool made by Randy or Del.

Ferrule or spacer for a knife handle.

Ferrule for a new handle on my Doi kiritsuke very likely.

Thanks for your generosity to this community.

Probably a paper weight until I get to know how to make handles. Then a cool as# handle.

I would use it on one end of a handle with Hippo on the other end to make a surf and turf knife!

hey i was just thinking that, or a three ivory handle mammoth, hippo and walrus

Definitely a c*ckring!:justkidding::devilburn: A carved or scrimshaw pommel might be interesting

If it's fossilized, it's a rock, right? If so, I'd use it for some spacers. I wouldn't want it to crack at a buttcap or ferrule...

I'd probably just stare at it for a while. Can't even say it'd be a paper weight, just something nice to look at. Eventually, it would make its way into a handle I'm sure, though I'd have to take my time to figure out what wood to put it with.

Paperweight and then a ferrule or spacer for a custom.

I would buy two more and learn how to juggle - or use it on a knife handle combined with some great old growth redwood :)

Stefan

Looks like a great size/shape to throw at the hubby when he's misbehaving. Or use it on an handle with some old growth redwood or killer koa.

I'd use it in combination with some mammoth tooth scales to use for a knife for myself. :)

I would use it for as many spacers as I can squeeze out of it when I have Marko rehandle my shiges, with some stellar old growth "best there's ever been" redwood and buffalo horn ferrule, it'd look great in place of the traditional ni/ag spacer.

Spacers for a gyuto handle, hopefully by Marko.

Regards,

Mark

You're all wrong, because it will be mine, and I'll send it to Mike Henry to use for spacers on his D-handle prototypes (of which I hope to land at least one).

Hmmm. The ginger grater is hard to top, but who am i kidding...Honestly i would probably carve it into a pendant for my wife....Or a spacer for a handle :p Nah...wife would get it.

I would put it on a handle... but the first month or two i would have it next to the computer so i can fondle it.

Wow! This is very generous of you sir. I'm in!

All since I finished the full musk handle for Øivinds knife, I've been wondering on how to possibly top that one off as to the choice of materials. This wonderful piece could be just what I need to do that.

DarKHOek

I am going to put it in the cheese tasting tray and the local deli and see what sort of reaction people give when they bite into it. When I have had my fun it will go on a knife with pink scales to be sold for charity during national breast cancer awareness month.

Back