Ed Fowler, a great read

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiffRaff

Reaction score
Just in case anyone has time to read a printed book, I thought I'd mention how much I enjoyed Ed Fowler's collection of his own columns for Blade Magazine, called Knife Talk. People here probably know him better than I do. But when I learned how important he'd been to Michael Rader, whose knives I own and love, I ordered his two volumes from Amazon. You can get Volume II only from his web site (yes, he has one). And I'm sincere in telling you that they're hard to put down, by turns profound, moving and hilarious, and give a rich picture of the kind of life all that knife nuts would probably like to live. Not to mention the fact that he deals with lots of the issues we kick around here--steels, grinds, profiles, handles and life with women :scared4: A great read with lots of great pics.

Ya I picked up vol. 1 from the library last mo. I have yet to return it, still have some story's to read.

the original Knife talk was the catalist that finally started my knife making career. Even though I am in the second book I think the first is the best.

What an honor to hear from you, Bill. And it says something about Fowler's reach that he can speak to a city boy like me, who can only sit back and appreciate the craftsmanship, as well as his chosen son (that's you). Incidentally, I'm the proud owner of the knife you feature in your "avatar" as well as a santoku with musk ox horn handle and a glorious petty--all a great pleasure.

What an honor to hear from you, Bill. And it says something about Fowler's reach that he can speak to a city boy like me, who can only sit back and appreciate the craftsmanship, as well as his chosen son (that's you). Incidentally, I'm the proud owner of the knife you feature in your "avatar" as well as a santoku with musk ox horn handle and a glorious petty--all a great pleasure.

It Is always a pleasure hearing from the owners of my knives. I have always been about performance first and foremost and like hearing about them good and bad. good makes me feel good and bad helps me try to improve.

Without Ed, (and his partnership with Burke a while back) I really don't think the American custom knife makers would be where they are now. Do enjoy the read.

~M

It was Ed's work that led me to ask Bill to make my Suji. Great books....try and collect the old mag's they came from:cry:

Back