Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Carters!

First Carters!

After 4 weeks and a Christmas bonus to customs, my first ever Carters have finally arrived. A 3.7 sun SFGZ paring and 5.7 sun SFGZ funayuki. I love the simplicity of the design on these. They are designed to be one thing and one thing only: cutting demons!

The paring feels slightly larger in the hand than i would have preferred but i will adapt no problem. Very aggresive edges OOTB feels like 1k max. Nice and toothy but i have since gave them a quick 5k and strop finish. Overall very happy and can't wait to give them a real try out. To add: custom Rodrigue (on waiting list), Devin Thomas?!

Anyway some pics:

I have already had a little mess around with refining the finish, which has gone from this:

To This:

The cladding, as expected, is not too much work but that blue core is gonna bed a pain in the behind! I will keep going at it when i am very very bored some day. Finally a family photo:

Good stuff! Could you detail refinish steps please?

Great knives, description and family photo. Love the Funayuki profile. Similar taste. I am currently waiting on a Rodrigue gyuto, then probably a Rodrigue sujihiki. Then, probably Devin Thomas feather Damascus.

Last edited by stereo.pete; 05-16-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: I done mucked up
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Who made that lovely scimitar? Also, congrats on the new knives, I had always heard of Carter's questionable finish but good lord that bevel is rough. I must say the work you put in really turned out nice!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Thanks guys. I just gave the paring a quick go with various grits of wet and dry sandpaper, something like 120, 400, 800, 1200. I'm happy with the 10 minute results but at the same time slightly scared of how unaffected the core is!

The scimitar is a custom Stephan Fowler in W2. It has a lovely profile more or less half way between a suji and a traditional scimitar. I have been having slight problems getting it as sharp as say the Tanaka but im sure il find a nice stone combo that works a treat.

Nice, I really like my Carters. I refinished the bevel on my SFGZ suji too, I quite like that he keeps the cost down by leaving some of the finishing steps out, means you can get 2 knives instead of one

@WSFARRELL I photos refinishing mine if it helps
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ing?highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by scott6452 View Post
    Thanks guys. I just gave the paring a quick go with various grits of wet and dry sandpaper, something like 120, 400, 800, 1200. I'm happy with the 10 minute results but at the same time slightly scared of how unaffected the core is!

The scimitar is a custom Stephan Fowler in W2. It has a lovely profile more or less half way between a suji and a traditional scimitar. I have been having slight problems getting it as sharp as say the Tanaka but im sure il find a nice stone combo that works a treat.
    I thought the same thing on the scimitar wondering who made it. Great looking Scimitar. Stephan Fowler can be proud of that one. Really looks good.

I love my Carters though I've never tried to clean up the bevel.

Was it pretty easy polishing the bevel?

Jay

Yeh really easy. That came from literally 10 minutes. Although i have left out the really annoying bits until i have more time/less to do. I agree Tom, i'd much prefer the cost to be kept to a minimum. Infact, i even kinda liked the rough grind finish. Makes them real "man tools

Heres another of the Fowler in action, and also of a fine selection of Scotch beef cuts!