Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sujihiki as all around knife

sujihiki as all around knife

Im looking for a suji that could be used as an "all purpose" knife. I know its not an uncommon thing among many and Im not really sure which sujis lend themselves to different types of movements besides just slicing. I figure I should probably get a 270mm for now and maybe a taller than average suji. The only suji ive ever owned was a kono white 2 270 and i wasnt too into it. The kanehiro 270mm looks tall for a suji so im considering it. also sakai yusuke, ginga, maybe even a jck white steel suji. any suggestions or thoughts for a suji noob?

Have you considered a petite Gyuto with height and thickness under control? To me it sounds roughly like what you're looking for.
    That would be a custom order though. I would go with Heiji-san while asking him to shape out the finger groove a bit more to Shigefusa style.
    Heiji has always been very flexible in his designs, I'm having him make my mother that suffers to an advanced case of arthritis a 160mm petty and a petite Santoku and he's very willing to work with the special grip she has to use as she only has the three last fingers she can move without pain (bone against bone otherwise, ouch).

Not the cheapest alternative out there however or if you're looking for production blades to keep the price down but I figured I'll throw my experience with Heiji out for'ya.

Yeah. Well this is going to be my second ever suji purchase so i would rather keep it under $300. I do want a Heiji gyuto eventually in semi stainless though. Thanks for the suggestion but if I can't find a tallish suji in my price range I'll just get a suji with a normal profile. The ginga suji 270mm is listed as 37 1/2mm tall and that might work.

i would go for a Yoshikane SKD Suji, love mine 250mm and 270mm mine 250mm is a little taller than normal after i talked with the vendor, Heiji would be a good choice to, i know Jon at JKI have them

A Rodrigue sujihiki is next on my list.

This has the ability:

09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    This has the ability:

Yes it does. Looks good.

Alright, seriously though, a suji has some upsweep to the tip to create more usable length. If done properly, this can also aid in gentle rocking, on board.
    If the heel height is about 40-45mm, you're looking good for knuckle clearance. The higher you get, of course, the less "suji-like" it is.
    In my mind, you can create knuckle clearance two ways. You can have a slightly longer "machi", or you can have a more dramatic taper from the butt of the handle to the ferrule. It's up to you, of course.
    Length...well, that's up to you.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Just got word that the kanehiro heel to spine measurement is 39 1/2mm for the 270mm suji. That sounds pretty nice. I wish there was more feedback on these knives.Everyone that likes them seems to be connected to the vendor.

How about a 270 Gyuto with a shorter profile, like the Ichimonji or Kikuichi TKC? To me that is much more versatile because it has a gyuto's profile but can be used as a suji, rather than trying to use a flat suji for gyuto tasks.