Left Hand Conversion Service

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
I noticed some people were looking for a left hand conversion service. Korin has you covered. :thumbsup:

At Korin, we can convert any western style knives to a left handed blade, regardless of whether or not they were purchased from us. Left handed boning knives must be special ordered may take up to two months to be shipped and will cost 25% more.

Please be aware that in order to utilize any knife to its fullest potential, we advice customers to never change the blade’s bevel. 50/50 beveled knives were engineered to be symmetrical, the same way 70/30 knives are engineered to to be asymmetrical. The blade for symmetrical bevel knives are put in the center, therefore changing the bevel in that fashion may result in the blade being more brittle.

Left handed traditional Japanese knives must be special ordered. Special ordered Japanese knives will take up to two months and cost 50% more than the right handed traditional Japanese knife. This is due to the fact that older generation Japanese people are trained to be right handed, regardless of being left handed. Therefore, there is a higher risk of mistakes and wasted material. Please inquire for further information and we'll be happy to try to meet your needs.

Conversion service is $20 per knife.
If you are interested in trying out our services for the first time, please let me know. I will be happy to offer you a free conversion for a knife as long as you can provide me with the shipping fees. :)

Yes! :D Once Mr. Sugai comes home from Japan, I would like to offer people on KKF a free western style knife sharpening if anyone is interested.

I think the funny thing here is we just finished having a nice discussion in another part of the forum about lefties having to use righty knives: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/6446-Lefty-Knife-Fix?highlight=lefty. Not that I completely agree with it but the conclusion was that switching the edge bias was pointless and converting the entire blade bias was not worth the effort/expense.

Yea, I wasn't entirely sure if this was regarding traditional single sided knives or Japanese western knives like misono... If it's Japanese Western knives, we convert those all of the time. :)

I'm not allowed to say anything about our services outside of Korin's forum, so I just hoped someone might read this. Thank you for noticing and reading it. My itch to tell someone is gone now. LOLOL

Yea, I wasn't entirely sure if this was regarding traditional single sided knives or Japanese western knives like misono... If it's Japanese Western knives, we convert those all of the time. :)...
The OP specified a suji and a gyuto which are both western knives. As for "converting" them all the time, I think it would be helpful to those who might be interested, if you would detail exactly what that means. If I were to send you a right-handed knife, exactly what would be done to it to make it left handed?

The OP specified a suji and a gyuto which are both western knives. As for "converting" them all the time, I think it would be helpful to those who might be interested, if you would detail exactly what that means. If I were to send you a right-handed knife, exactly what would be done to it to make it left handed?

:plus1:

Sorry it took me a little while again. I needed to ask and I wasn't in the office for a while.

Basically the sharpeners grind the back of the knife to widen the blade, then use a different machine to get rid of the 70 degree bevel to make it a 30 degree bevel, then they finish the knife by hand using series of sharpening stones.

I'm not allowed to reveal what we use, so I can't be very detailed... I'm sorry. BUT! I will be happy to offer a free left hand conversion for anyone who is interested. :)

If anyone else is interested, please send me a PM first. I made a sign up sheet with user names, so people processing them will know. :)

Latest posts

Back