• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: A freebie (with shipping.)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashae

Reaction score
My wife's family bought this knife in Japan probably about 30 years ago -- nothing particularly special, decent carbon gyuto with western handle. I don't know the maker (should be identifiable from the kanji.) The tip has been broken off, but otherwise it's in good shape.

I'd like this to go to someone that wants to regrind/reprofile it, and hopefully rehandle it as a test project. All I'd ask is that you pay shipping (should be $8.50 via priority mail) and share your work on the forum.

Anyone?

7203839932_51fec0f4c0_b.jpg

7203838676_8b680857f0_b.jpg

7203841124_24c70402a6_b.jpg

Very generous of you. Hope someone someone can put it to use.

how about I trade you a coffee mug for it, one I've made, and we each pay shipping for our respective items?

I am sure it will find a good home. Very generous of you.

I'll do it and then send it back to you or do a pass around with it?

I'm doing this for the overall benefit of the community, so I'm happy to take suggestions!

What would people like to see for the handle material??

I'd like it! But I say send it to Mr Gray. I'll bet the mug you get in return is cool.

I'd like it! But I say send it to Mr Gray. I'll bet the mug you get in return is cool.

He does make some great stuff and is generous with his off knife topic knowledge to boot. :)

I would like to see Tom get it too, think I would make him include a couple pizza's in the deal also

Ill take it, I got some crazy plans for that knife.

You have 3 people interested in this knife, who is getting it? Tom answered first, so I am assuming he will get it?

Hey guys! Sasha's mug is en route to NYC. I will do a WIP on it, and have some great Mark Farley woods to choose from.

I'll have photos of the mug on Monday or Tuesday! Thanks Tom!

5-21-12sashaschefbrokentip.jpg
Here's a pics of Sasha's knife when it came in this morning. It wasn't in bad shape, just needed a little tune-up.
5-21-12newprofile.jpg
I drew in a new profile to compensate for the broken tip, ground it to shape, sharpened it on the disk grinder, cleaned up the blade sides on a scotch-brite belt then polished the edge on the buffer loaded with chrome oxide.

5-21-12sashaschefpolished.jpg
Here's what I have so far. I also buffed the handle with alumina oxide on a soft buffing wheel, and am still thinking about what wood from Mark Farley would work with this. More to come..............

Amazing! That was fast, Tom! I received a lovely mug from Tom today, as well... I'll shoot some better photos in daylight, tomorrow, but I'm totally happy. I do love a good trade!

Thanks guys! Yesterday was a fart around day, meaning no pots made, so between working on this and making a wa handle for another knife, I didn't accomplish much else. This knife was fun, and although I need to thin it a little behind the edge, it feels good in the hand and works well. I hope to knock off the old handle and replace it with something spiffy later this week; maybe some of Mark's blue dyed redwood or something. Every well-used, battered and (at some time) appreciated knife needs to be cleaned up and have some new clothes. :)

Love it.
Now if only I had something Tom wanted.... :p

Great looking mug. Great work on the knife too. sounds like a great trade.

Latest posts

Back