Quantcast
Cut Booklyn Again (and again): On "The Story"
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cut Booklyn Again (and again): On "The Story"

Cut Booklyn Again (and again): On "The Story"

He must be talking to the right people / making some good friend's because Joel Bukiewicz was just in the media again. This time he was interviewed on a national radio show: "The Story" which is hosted by Dick Gordon and distributed by American Public Media (Wednesday, May 16 2012's episode).
    The show was primarily about Studs Terkel, American steel workers, and manufacturing / labor in general. Dick is pretty blatantly liberal and sometimes annoys the heck out of me, but he often has interesting people on his show and he does a pretty good job of getting them to open up in the interviews.

You can listen online here:
    Episode page:
    http://thestory.org/archive/The_Story_51612.mp3/view

Stream the audio here:
    http://thestory.org/archive/The_Story_51612.mp3
    The interview starts at about 30min in.

or, the show is also available as a podcast and the sections are all broken out in pieces there.

A lot of the interview is repeated info from videos the articles, but I did hear some interesting new things: Joel talks about going online to "places where small communities of knife makers meet" when he was first starting out and needed to learn the basics. - I wonder where that was and if / where he goes to learn these days.

Joel consistently comes across as a likable guy with a good story and the more I see and hear, the more curious I am about his knives... I guess publicity works, huh?

I love The Story.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    A good publicist will do that for you. They are very expensive too.

I met Joel a couple of years ago and he invited me too come see his shop which I think has since moved. I have never had a chance to use one of his knives, but he is a super nice guy who seems super pasionate about what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    A good publicist will do that for you. They are very expensive too.
    Yes they are, particularly, the New York Times articles.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

That and the New Yorker plus maybe Savier do seem to be the ticket to the yellow brick road don't they?

well, keep in mind the price of a publicist among other assorted string pullers when you throw down 575 for a 240mm prospect. gotta pay the bills right? the cost of advertising explains his steep prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Yes they are, particularly, the New York Times articles.

M
    Hey Marko, when you're all cranked up and ready to go we should pass the hat and get you hooked up with a publicist. Those people wouldn't know what hit them once they saw your work. They'd be saying, "Joel who?"

Haha, I don't need to get more busy, to be honest, not unless I buy myself a Kuka robot or farm out most work to subcontractors.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread